Question

Can a phone w/a cracked case be traded in as part of the iPhone 15 promotion(s)?

• 18 September 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

We have two iPhone XR handsets we plan to trade in as part of a promotion to get new iPhone 15 Pro handsets. The promotion is basically the “it’s on us” deal, where we get credits on our bill each month to defray the cost of the equipment.

Negatives:

1. we have to stick with T-Mobile for the duration of the equipment purchase plan (two years)
  2. we get phone which are locked to T-Mobile’s network, whereas our current phones could be unlocked at any time (they’re been paid off for years now)
  3. we have to upgrade to the Go5G Plus plan. That plan is slightly more expensive than the current T-Mobile ONE plan we’re on today.

My main concern is that my wife’s XR has a cracked case on the back. Will the trade-in still be accepted? I mean, the XR is so old that the trade-in value is less than $100 even for a phone in perfect condition.

So at worst I could see us having to pay an extra $100. But will that even be possible? Should we get the phone fixed first, at a cost of about $110?

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

It looks to me like the maximum they are giving for an iPhone XR is $400.  That is for the iPhone 15 Pro, on the Go5G Plus plan.  They might reduce the credit for the cracked back, but they might not.  I would not invest in a repair.

They have a slightly different offer for the 15 (Not Pro) you might want to consider.  You can get up to $350 for your XR - and you might be able to stay on your existing, less expensive plan.  

I would walk into the store to discuss the options. 

Good luck!

PS It sounds like you are still not sold on T-Mobile!  I don’t know why not - you must have been with them for a while.  It wouldn’t hurt to walk into an AT&T store to see what deal you could get.  As I recall, they will accept a trade-in in any condition.