Question

can I add an iPhone without a data plan, just a phone line

• 24 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

As the title implies. Can I just have a phone service and not buy a data plan w an iPhone.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

i dont believe so. pretty sure it’ll need at least 4G in order to make calls once they shut down 3G (3G handles calls and such). a flip phone perhaps but for a smart phone i dont think it would be able to make calls once the shut down happens.

i believe.. someone else will chime in here in a bit in case im wrong.

anywho...you’ll have to keep in mind that pretty much everything else that phone can do needs data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You need to call Tmobile support. They do have plans they offer that aren't on the website.

Badge

Ok, figured I’d have to ask T-Mobile. So it’s for an elder person who has the latest flip phone but it’s too hard to see and doesn’t save voicemail. Literally all they need is a phone, be able to save contacts and have voicemail. Will never use any part of the rest of the phone (which is a shame) but is happy to pay for the better phone. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

there should be some pretty simple set up phones that they can look into as well. things with slightly larger buttons etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

iPhone’s don’t function well without data.  Sending and receiving messages using iMessage requires a data connection.  An iPhone in my opinion, is the worst choice for a smartphone to try and use without a data plan.  I would recommend a Google 6a as that is what my 87 year old grandmother uses.  It works just the same with or without a data connection when setup correctly.