Solved

I have been trying to unlock my phone for a month now.

• 15 September 2023
  • 20 replies

Badge

I have met all the requirements to unlock my phone on my prepaid line. $100 refill and its been over 2 months and my phone is paid off. For some reason these T-mobile customer service workers have done nothing for me so far. I have called 10 times. Every time they tell me they submit a request and I wait 3 days and nothing happens. No e-mail or anything. I am getting furious at this point. Today I call to find out that the last 3 never submitted the request, they just notated my account thinking that will unlock my phone?! I still can’t believe no one in T-mobile knows how to do anything

icon

Best answer by gramps28 15 September 2023, 04:29

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What type of phone and where did you purchase it?

Badge

iPhone 14 Pro Max, I purchased it thru T-Mobile store

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Even after the $100 dollars in refills it still needs to be used on Tmobile towers for 14 or 17 days.

Badge

Yeah, I have been using it for almost two months now

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Try using messenger on one of Tmobile’s social media pages like Facebook or Twitter to see if they can help. They have a knack in unlocking phones.

Badge

Thank you Gramps, I hope this works

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It seems like there's more issues getting iPhones unlocked compared to Android.

Badge

Do you know why that is?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Android phones imei#’s are already stored on Tmobile servers while they need to request the unlock through Apple which may take longer.

Badge

Taking longer isn’t the problem. The problem is T-Mobile customer service doesn’t know how to submit a unlock request

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Have you contacted the social media support team? If you have an Android phone you should be able to request a full or temporary unlock from your MyTmobile account.

Badge

I have an iPhone

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Have you tried requesting the unlock through your MyTmobile account?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Just to be clear.  That network usage must be on T-Mobile USA’s network.  Roaming will not count.  Once T-Mobile passes off the SIM unlock request for an iPhone to Apple.  It is up to Apple to complete the requested SIM unlock.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

I know this doesn’t help in your case, but this is why I buy directly from Apple. You still get the same TMo promotions, but you receive a phone that is not locked to TMo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I know this doesn’t help in your case, but this is why I buy directly from Apple. You still get the same TMo promotions, but you receive a phone that is not locked to TMo.

Yes, but that device almost always locks to the first SIM you put into the device.  Apple’s Reseller and Flex Policies are very unfriendly.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes, but that device almost always locks to the first SIM you put into the device.  Apple’s Reseller and Flex Policies are very unfriendly.  

Actually, my iPhone 14 that I bought from Apple with trade in and monthly payment credits from TMo that I use on TMo is unlocked. The following is from Apples FAQ page

​​​​​​

• Will my new iPhone be unlocked?

Yes. An iPhone purchased from apple.com(Opens in a new window) is unlocked. Once your new iPhone is activated, it remains unlocked, which means you can use it with any network that provides service for iPhone. The exception is when you buy an iPhone with an AT&T Installment Plan. It will be locked to AT&T and will only work on the AT&T network for the term of your Installment Plan agreement.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Actually, my iPhone 14 that I bought from Apple with trade in and monthly payment credits (so free) that I use on TMo is unlocked. The following is from Apples FAQ page

​​​​​​

Yes. An iPhone purchased from apple.com(Opens in a new window) is unlocked. Once your new iPhone is activated, it remains unlocked, which means you can use it with any network that provides service for iPhone. The exception is when you buy an iPhone with an AT&T Installment Plan. It will be locked to AT&T and will only work on the AT&T network for the term of your Installment Plan agreement.

That's news to me, but that's a good thing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Did you buy it on a Tmobile installment plan?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Actually, my iPhone 14 that I bought from Apple with trade in and monthly payment credits (so free) that I use on TMo is unlocked. The following is from Apples FAQ page

​​​​​​

That's news to me, but that's a good thing.

It's the same with the Pixel line. You buy it from Google on installment plan from them it comes unlocked but if you buy one from Tmobile or other 3rd party reseller the phone will come locked and unlocks after 40 days on a Tmobile installment plan.