Incredibly horrible incompetent service!

• 20 December 2023
  • 12 replies

Badge

A warning to prospective and current T-Mobile customers...Reconsider this company as your provider if you expect to ever get a phone unlocked and able to be reused. (despite all of their specific criteria being met) - All customer service calls get forwarded to a call center in India where they have no idea how to correct common problems. The primary goal is to prevent the call from being escalated to the floor manager. Even after it is escalated, the managers don’t know how to correct common in-house issues. Even more unfortunate is the fact the local T-Mobile employees who are extremely helpful have no control over this as T-Mobile has implemented a system which prevents common issues from being resolved. Most customers give up and purchase a new phone from a new carrier. Currently I have over 24 hours invested in an attempt to get a single phone unlocked. The wonderful local employees at T-Mobile (Erik Farmer and Matt Maes) have also spent in excess of (7) hours attempting to resolve this issue. Unfortunately, they also have to contact the call center with the same results. I have an appointment tomorrow with an attorney to discuss a possible lawsuit. I have several other people I know with the same problem. My discussion with the attorney will discuss the possibility of a class action lawsuit as I’m sure there are many other past customers with this issue. 

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What type of phone and where was it purchased?

Badge

Apple I Phone 12 mini…..purchased and paid in full over a year ago

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Where at? If it was a 3rd party reseller the phone locks to the first Sim card inserted and must meet the carriers unlock requirements. Also if you purchased the phone this way the imei number may not be in Tmobile’s data base as a phone they sold which is why they can't request the phone to be unlocked.

Badge

The phone was purchased directly from T-Mobile, not a reseller...I have printed out the requirements from T-Mobile’s site and went down each and every line item to ensure all requirements were met. This was confirmed by (9) different T-Mobile employees, managers, and call center employees. One would think that in over 24 hours of conversation with T-Mobile’s staff, someone would be able to see what the problem actually is. Unfortunately not…..The only thing it appears I can do now is to spend the same amount of time I’ve spent trying to fix this is ensuring no other person has to do the same. At this point, this will include over 24 hours of warning other would-be customers through every means possible. I wish someone would have warned me about this lack of competence (or faulty in-house systems) when I was informed my Sprint account would switch to T-Mobile. Actually, the local T-Mobile staff has been beyond wonderful. Unfortunately, they have to make the same call to the call-center in India. (with the same results) - If it was not so frustrating, it would almost be humorous the amount of incompetence over a simple thing. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Was there ever any warranty work done or replacement?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Run your imei through the checker on the link below. There has to be an issue with it since Tmobile gas to request the unlock request through Apple to approve.

https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone?cmpid=MGPO_PB_P_EVGRNPSTPD_43700070651104141_655619729936&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAvoqsBhB9EiwA9XTWGWjxo7tEIDDYPqlMXe_mEg8gtw7D2bw_BSeQGzzsMoVyJ4Ti0gy59xoCJ-YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Run your imei through the checker on the link below. There has to be an issue with it since Tmobile gas to request the unlock request through Apple to approve.

https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone?cmpid=MGPO_PB_P_EVGRNPSTPD_43700070651104141_655619729936&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAvoqsBhB9EiwA9XTWGWjxo7tEIDDYPqlMXe_mEg8gtw7D2bw_BSeQGzzsMoVyJ4Ti0gy59xoCJ-YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

agreed..they dont just up and pass on unlocking devices unless there is something holding it up. usually its money still owed or they were swapped out as a warranty/damaged swap and the numbers in the system dont match with what they have in hand.

Badge

Well, no damage, no warranty, no swap….T-Mobile has now confirmed (10) times (another call to them today) that there are absolutely no issues that would prevent the device from being unlocked….They have also told me each time...(10) times now, that the phone would be unlocked (immediately, within 2 hours, within 24 hours, within 48 hours, within 72 hours, again at 24 hours, again at 48 hours, and again at 72 hours, not to mention a few more times I cannot remember the timeline they gave me) - 

So, actually later this afternoon I received a call from a T-Mobile person (not sure how they determined a call was needed) - But they came up with a wonderful idea that I never in a million years could have come up with myself….She said “Why don’t you just buy another phone?”   Brilliant idea I know! - I explained to her that I likely would have done that had T-Mobile not explicitly told me on (10) different occasions over (8) days the phone would definitely be unlocked. Had I been psychic and known that T-Mobile was actually lying to me, I definitely would have went that route. I went on with an analogy:

Let’s pretend I’m a car salesman and sell you a car...You pay me and ask for the keys….I then say “No, why don’t you just buy another car? -

So, regarding the suggestion above utilizing the IMEI checker….

1. Says my phone is fully compatible with the T-Mobile Network (go figure)
  2. Says my phone is E-Sim compatible and can be activated right away
  3. Says they can’t confirm that the device is unblocked and that I should contact my carrier….(now approaching 30 hours of direct contact with T-Mobile at this point) - 

Any other thoughts are appreciated!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Contact Apple, it's on their end to issue the unlock code.

Badge

Contacted Apple twice. (Once on the phone with tech support and once at the store) - They assured me it was T-Mobile, which I believe as Apple has never repeatedly lied to me and have always provided wonderful support. After lots of social media posts it turns out I am one of many that have had and currently have this problem. Most give up, and just buy a new phone, which I would have done right away had T-Mobile not said my phone would be unlocked every single day for the past 9 days. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Contacted Apple twice. (Once on the phone with tech support and once at the store) - They assured me it was T-Mobile, which I believe as Apple has never repeatedly lied to me and have always provided wonderful support. After lots of social media posts it turns out I am one of many that have had and currently have this problem. Most give up, and just buy a new phone, which I would have done right away had T-Mobile not said my phone would be unlocked every single day for the past 9 days. 

I knew Apple was going to deflect this. All Tmobile is doing is iniaiting the unlock request for you and Apple has to release the unlock. The nine times you requested the unlock request Tmobile did their part by sending the request to Apple.

Tmobile can't issue the unlock like they do with Android.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

yeah you TMO even says it in their walk through for unlocking your devices.

you’ll notice at no point do you see “submit the unlock” on any of the Android stuff..just Apple..

Android

1. Swipe up on your Home screen to open your Apps list and follow the steps for your manufacturer:
    • Samsung: Settings Connections More Connection Settings > Network Unlock

• OnePlus: Settings Wi-Fi & internet > SIM & network, then choose Advanced or Network Unlock

• LG: Settings Network & internet > Mobile networks > Network unlock > Continue

• Motorola: Settings About phone > Device unlock > Continue

• T-Mobile REVVLRY: Settings Network & Internet > Mobile network > Advanced Network Unlock

• TCL: Settings System  > About phone > Device Unlock

• CAT / Nokia / Wiko: Settings About phone > Device Unlock

• Older Android or other manufacturers: Check if your device uses the Device Unlock app, find steps in Tutorials, or contact us for assistance
  2. Select Permanent Unlock and wait while the device completes the unlock.

3. Restart the device.

Apple iPhone

• If you have a locked iPhone that's eligible, Contact us so we can submit the unlock.
  • Once it shows unlocked in your T-Mobile account, either insert your new SIM card or activate your eSIM.