Solved

iPhone 6 won't connect to data, stuck on "Searching..."

• 3 April 2017
  • 9 replies

Two days ago, my iPhone 6 had died and since charging it, it won't connect to data.  It just shows the "Searching..." prompt in the top left corner where it should say "T-mobile".  The same thing happened last week and I just had to update my carrier settings to get it to work again.  This time, there is no update available for my carrier settings.  I went to Apple's support page and have done everything it says to do (turning the phone off and on, checking for updates, checking the SIM card, reseting network settings, turning on and off airplane mode and do not disturb, etc.), but nothing has fixed my problem.  I'm unsure as to whether it's an actual hardware problem or not because it happened after my phone died, but obviously I could be wrong.  Has anyone experienced a similar problem?  And if so, is there anything you were able to do to fix it without having to get their phone fixed/upgrade to a new phone?  Thank you!

icon

Best answer by jaxonbrite 18 April 2017, 01:14

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 4

Welcome to support @jaxonbrite‌ 😀 Wish you were here on happier terms, but lets see what we can do!

Do you have another device you can test your SIM card in? Offhand, it sounds like this may be an issue with the SIM card, it could be the hardware itself, but when possible I always try to eliminate the possibility of it being a SIM issue as that can save us a lot of time in the long run.

If you have the opportunity to try another SIM, please let me know! A store may be of help with this as well! 😊

-Lauren

Userlevel 3

Hey there!  I just wanted to see if you'd had a chance to test your SIM in another device, or test your device with an alternate SIM.  Were you able to get your iPhone to connect to the network again?  I hope everything's going well for you!

- Marissa

Hello!  I took my phone into a T-Mobile store the same day as I made this post.  The employee reset my network settings, which I had tried several times, and my phone started getting service again (I guess it just needed to reset one more time).    She told me that if the problem continues; to come back in the store and we'll look into a new SIM card or phone. My connection was working for a few days, but on several occasions since, it has had the same problem.  I'll take the same steps to fix the problem, and with varying degrees of success it will work and it is currently doing the same thing, saying "Searching...".  I have not tried changing SIM cards with another device, so I will try that when I get a chance.  Thank you for replying, and let's hope we can get this fixed soon!

Userlevel 3

Yikes!  It's so wonky that this issue is continuing - I'm glad you have some steps to follow to resolve it, but it's definitely not as good as a permanent solution.  I think it's definitely a good idea to check the SIM in another phone - that can help you figure out if the problem is the SIM or your device.  Thanks for the update, please keep us posted!

- Marissa

Userlevel 3

Just wanted to check in with you @jaxonbrite‌!  How is everything going with your iPhone - is it still on a signal-seeking quest?

- Marissa

Hi Marissa, thanks for checking in!  I took my phone into the T-Mobile store to get it checked again and ended up just upgrading to the iPhone 7.  It's too bad I had to get rid of my old phone, but I had my upgrade ready, so no big deal!

Userlevel 3

Awww, well - sorry to see that old friend go, but on the other hand, I hope that the new phone's treating you well and that it was a pleasant outcome for a troublesome situation.  Thanks for letting us know!

- Marissa

I used to have this problem and was Googling to find the answer. I found this thread and wanted to share this article with anyone who needs an answer because it helped me out. It has a step-by-step instructions about what to do when iPhones get stuck on searching screen.

To fix iPhone stuck on searching, you need to ensure a good internet connection first. Then, force restart your iPhone. And try to reset network settings. Or an ios system recovery tool can also help you fix the issue.