Question

Need advice regarding Assurant

• 25 June 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hopefully I can shrink this into a cohesive question. I am currently in Wichita working a project. I took a fall down stairs and landed on my phone. “I can actually say that Apple saved my butt” My iPhone was shattered and bent. I also fell hard enough to shatter my laptop screen while it was in my backpack… 

I went to the local T-Mobile store and inquired what my options were. I carry insurance but with work I could not really go without a phone. I talked to an Assurant agent on the phone and had to put the brakes on her real fast. She wanted to flip through her guide and ship me a replacement to my house 1300 miles away. I told her I had to have a phone where I was and would assurant credit me or pay me the value of my phone in lieu of replacement. I got complete silence. Tried to explain the situation again and got I’m sorry and more silence… 

In the end I had to buy an new iPhone 14 outright and pay an activation fee. Before I call customer service and assurant again, Do you guys think this was the proper outcome or did the local T-Mobile agents or Assurant customer service drop the ball? Did I have other options that were not offered to me?

Thanks!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

From everything I've read is that if you put an active sim card into a replacement phone the insurance will be on the new phone.

So if you didn't file a claim before the switch the broken phone won't be covered.

Now with a new phone and sim you should still be able to file a claim on the broken phone.

Personally I probably would of started a prepaid plan with a cheap phone until I received my replacement.

Badge

Luckily I had called and filed the claim before I bought the phone. However the prepaid phone is a good idea I had not thought of at the time.