Question

T-mobile struggling to unclock apple swapped iphone

• 8 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I have iPhone 12 pro max that I got from T-Mobile on EIP. It was paid off. Recently, I accidentally damaged my iPhone 12 pro max and took it to Apple Store to fix it. Apparently, Apple doesn’t fix iPhones and just swaps them for new ones which I was totally ok with. I got a brand new iPhone locked with T-Mobile. Now I’m looking to do some travel and want my iPhone to be unlocked so I can use a local sim. For some reason, T-Mobile support doesn't want or cannot (I don’t know) unlock this iPhone that I got from Apple, stating that it is not bought from T-Mobile (even though it's a T-Mobile locked device) and it has to be unlocked by Apple. Hard reset of the phone doesn’t help.  I contacted T-Mobile support like 5 times and each time the response was the same or they tell you that 48 hours required to resolve this issue and never follow up. I contacted Apple support and they escalated this case to their Engineering department. The response from Apple engineering department was that “phone can be unlocked, but only carrier (T-Mobile) can unlock the phone and Apple doesn't have the physical ability to do that”. Basically, T-Mobile and Apple keep pointing fingers at each other with no result. 

I don’t understand why T-Mobile cannot unlock iPhone that was provided by Apple? I didn't buy it somewhere on the street, I paid $500 to get that phone swapped and now I cannot utilize it as I want.

Looking forward to getting some advice on how to work out this issue?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Apple’s Reseller Policy is to blame for it locking to the first SIM you put in it.  If Apple replaced the device, the IMEI would not be in T-Mobile’s system to be able to SIM unlock.  Even with iPhone’s sold by T-Mobile, which your replacement wasn’t.  T-Mobile has to submit for the SIM unlock to Apple and Apple completes the SIM unlock when they get around to it.  Because this device was replaced by Apple with one from an Apple Store and not replaced in a T-Mobile Store.  I would say it is on Apple to SIM unlock it for you.  

Did you receive some sort of RMA slip that shows your T-Mobile purchased device and IMEI was replaced with the one you have by Apple with the new devices IMEI?  If so.  You could submit that to T-Mobile through Facebook or Twitter via DM to T-Mobile and hopefully the T-Force Team can see what they could do, if anything at all, to resolve this and get your device SIM unlocked.  

Badge

Yes, I have co

py of the service confirmation 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you use social media try using messenger on one of tmobile's social media platforms like Facebook or Twitter and send them a copy of the invoice so they can put the imei number into their system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

im guessing since its a swap out via insurance the new devices info needs to be swapped into your account in place of the one currently in there..which is still showing as your older phones info..

the device requested to be unlocked in the TMO system isnt matching up to what they show in the system.