Solved

Trying to buy new iPhone

I am trying to buy a new iPhoneSE on the Apple website. When I get to to the part of their form that asks me for my "wireless number" and last 4 of my social so they can contact T-Mobile, it doesn't accept my information. It says that the cell number and last 4 I entered do not match what T-Mobile has on file -- but I only have 1 phone line, and I am the only person on this account. I don't understand what other information T-Mobile could have on file? Please help!

icon

Best answer by sweetpeach 13 May 2020, 06:48

View original

10 replies

Is it necessary to buy it tied to your T-Mobile account? You can buy an unlocked, SIM-free iPhone SE.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Were you able to use the workaround above? We can always have our Care team double check your account, but if their site still saying things aren't matching up, might be worth a shot to the other way.

Mike - I didn't try the workaround yet. I think it's more important that I get to the bottom of why the T-Mobile site won't take my credentials. I'm the only person who uses this phone and I have only one social security number (obviously) so that's what T-Mobile should have on file. It really bothers me that they apparently do not. It would be great if you could investigate and give me a call or email, or a phone number I could call to discuss this with someone who could assist me. - Rachel

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

So, I'm on the same page, it's the T-Mobile site that's not taking you SSN? It's not the Apple site? Is the site asking for your SSN after logging in or when trying to buy the phone?

It is the Apple site that is not taking the info I type in for my T-Mobile credentials. When I use the Apple site to try to purchase the iPhone, I can only get as far as the page that asks me for the carrier info. Here is a copy/paste of the messaging on that web page:

---

Now let's get your new iPhone ready.

•    We'll contact T-Mobile so you don't have to.

•    You'll keep your existing number and rate plan.

•    Your current phone will work until you setup your new iPhone.

We just need a few account details: Verify your account

Wireless Number :

Last 4 of the account holder's SSN :

------

Once I enter my "wireless number" (which I assume is my cell phone number) and the last 4 of my social, I receive this error message:

---

The information you provided does not match the carrier's records. Please re-enter your information and try again, or contact T-Mobile.

---

As I've said, I am the only user of my cell phone, and T-Mobile should have only MY social security number in its records for the number/account. So don't understand why I am receiving this error message?

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Since this has to do with your account, you'll have to call Tmobile or contact T-Force on Twitter or Facebook. No one here can see your account or personal info. 😉

Same thing happened to me when I tried to purchase new iphone on apple.  

i called T-Mobile and the guy said Tmobile don’t take SSN due to privacy. 

I told him on your support page that there’s “change SSN” option but he simply ignored my request several times.

Even though I’m the account holder, he just cannot add my SSN for my account. 

When I said I’m trying to purchase new iphone on apple.com, he simply ignored my concern regarding the SSN and tried to purchase the iphone on T-mobile. Are you really listening to my request???????

Rude and not helpful at all. Very disappointed.  

Were are you able to fix it? It’s happening the same thing to me. After 2 calls to T-Mobile and 2 visit at the store they technically corrected my SSN but it’s still not working. 

New iphone asks for the last 4 of SS#. called T Mobile and they say they don’t have SS# on file and Apple says they don’t have SS# on file. So how do people get past this to set up phones?

It is required to submit SSN on Apple’s site. T Mobile needs to work with Apple if y’all don’t record the SSN of the primary account holder and change it to be the account ID or something. What a weird system. Has anyone had any luck fixing the issue?