T-Mobile breaking promises to seniors who were offered price-lock guarantee for life on 55+ rate plans

Userlevel 5
Badge

In 2017, I signed up for a 55+ rate plan with the assurance that my monthly rate was price-locked for life.  This incentive was a primary reason that I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile.  Now, T-Mobile is trying to raise my monthly rate by $10.00.  When I spoke to their customer service people this morning they told me that there was nothing that they could do to fix the problem.  I also noted that they changed all of the marketing information on their web site to delete all references to the price-lock guarantee which I was offered when I set up the account.  We need to find a way to complain loudly to T-Mobile about this breach of contract and breach of trust.  If we do nothing, they will raise our rates again in the future.  Let’s fight back.  Thanks for listening.

65 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

I highly recommend filing a complaint against T-Mobile with the Federal Communications Commission.  The online process only takes five (5) minutes.  If enough T-Mobile customers complain loudly and forcefully, perhaps the FCC will do something.  We have nothing to lose by taking a shot.  Here is the link:  https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Userlevel 3

T-Mobile says one thing then does another, trying to hide behind “well the price of everything is going up” - I wasted 45 mins listening to BS from a rep in the Philippines likely getting paid $3 an hour…..      You would think their costs should be going down by moving customer service to a 3rd world country.    I was with ATT for almost 20 years, then switched to T-Mobile 7 years ago….    I am on a grandfathered 55+ plan and I was told it would be price locked unless I changed to another plan.     They are LIARS…….    They used to be a great company, but not anymore - with less than 10 days notice they are increasing the price of my service by almost 17%   ($60 two lines / $10 increase).   I don’t need a Pilipino telling me its only $5  a line.   I will file FCC/ State Board of Public Utilities & State Attorney General & State Consumer Affairs (unfair business practices).   Plus, BBB / YELP/ PissedConsumer/ FB/ X/ Tick Tock/ & Insta.   They went from Hero to Zero ….    I doubt T-Mobile will do anything until they realize they are hemorrhaging loyal customers and become inundated with complaints.  There are better, lower priced choices. from other carriers and resellers. I intend on switching

Userlevel 2

T-Mobile new slogan. "Price lock for life and other temporary agreements"

Userlevel 3
Badge

Same exact thing! Spent an hour on live chat to get runaround. Called customer service and they said “it wasn’t a contract”. Honestly?? Will be contacting state attorney general’s office and fcc

Userlevel 2

Same thing happened to me. Switched from Verizon to T-Moble to get One plan 55+ with price lock for life (2 lines $60 with auto pay and now told price is increasing and that plan is not included with price lock. Filed FCC complaint also. Maybe we should take them to small claim court individually? They won’t show and be ordered to pay.

Userlevel 1

They have changed for the bad since x-ceo John Legere left in 2020. Under him they wanted to be a different- customer oriented cell company with a guaranteed for life plan for 55 & over!  Now they are just another greedy cell carrier just like the others. I too called in & talked with a rep asking how they could not keep their word with guaranteed for life & she said there was nothing she could do about it! I live in the mountains & Tmobiles service isn’t that great anyway so I will be switching carriers.. I don’t give repeat business to unethical companies!!

Userlevel 2

Hello,

I was also sold the 55+ price for life plan some years back. I signed up because it sounded like a great deal not having to worry about rate increases on a low income. T-Mobile is a liar company that used bait and switch tactics, or so it appears. I am going to file a complaint with my state Attorney General and any other agency that will listen. I will also be emailing my representatives and local media to expose this company as a predator company using fraud tactics to sell their service. Everyone being affected by this, please do the same. They are breaking a promise so they can open the door to future rate increases and more frequently. I have kept my part of the deal all these years, so should they. I am sick of these big companies screwing over customers and not being held accountable.  

Userlevel 1

Just went thru the same “Your current plan says nothing about a Price-Lock” goat rope with a young T-Mobile Customer Svc Rep. Sadly, he’s the one that has to to endure our rath. Anyway, after sharing I’d enrolled in the (Then) Senior Unlimited 55+ Plan, that included a “Guaranteed Never to Go Up” Price-Lock back in December 2017 AND I needed to know why it’s now called “One Plan 55+” and there’s no longer a lock. Told him I wanted an email address that I could send my concerns to, toward resolution, and was informed there are NO T-Mobile email addresses, but he would be happy to transfer me to his Tampa Supervisor. I gladly accepted that offer and eagerly awaited the end of the Elevator Music, which not surprisingly never ended,  I hung up after 15 minutes. I will be doing the 611 thing AGAIN, and this time tell a Supervisor (among other things) to Read the discuss on their Community Page. I may need to give him/her the link to the page.

In 2017, I signed up for a 55+ rate plan with the assurance that my monthly rate was price-locked for life.  This incentive was a primary reason that I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile.  Now, T-Mobile is trying to raise my monthly rate by $10.00.  When I spoke to their customer service people this morning they told me that there was nothing that they could do to fix the problem.  I also noted that they changed all of the marketing information on their web site to delete all references to the price-lock guarantee which I was offered when I set up the account.  We need to find a way to complain loudly to T-Mobile about this breach of contract and breach of trust.  If we do nothing, they will raise our rates again in the future.  Let’s fight back.  Thanks for listening.

Similarly, I signed up for the fixed plan.  Called about the rate hike and was told there never was a lifetime guarantee.  The CSR on the other end of the line, obviously well trained, told me it is only $!0.  That keeps it still cheaper than any other plan.  It’s not the $$$.  $10 will not break the bank, it’s the knowledge that t-mobile lied to me - continues to lie to me - and they will undoubtedly get away with it.  Got the same guarantee on my internet price.  How long will it take them to deny they ever promised that???  How does a larger company get to lie about such a thing.  I will never trust t-mobile again.  

Userlevel 2

I transferred to T-Mobile at my local Costco store in 2017. I will be contacting Costco about this issue. They have been excellent about standing behind their products as well as those from their contractors.

Userlevel 1

First, they changed the rules regarding auto-pay so we couldn’t use our credit cards. Now this!! I will be filing appropriate complaints as well as switching carriers. Even if they reverse this decision, I won’t be doing business with this type of company. I figured something was up when I stopped receiving the weekly updates and surveys from them.

Userlevel 3

If T-Mobile doesn’t do anything about their “Bait & Switch” attitude, we MUST all get together and get a good lawyer and bring a class-action lawsuit against T-Mobile.  Also, a BOYCOTT of T-Mobile .can be started in social media - hate to do it, but they “drew first blood” (Rambo).

Userlevel 3

Same thing happened to me. Switched from Verizon to T-Moble to get One plan 55+ with price lock for life (2 lines $60 with auto pay and now told price is increasing and that plan is not included with price lock. Filed FCC complaint also. Maybe we should take them to small claim court individually? They won’t show and be ordered to pay.

Small claim court is very limited as to punishment and we need to hit T-Mobile deep in their pockets...

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

FCC isn’t going to do a thing.  You guys have an opt out and can use if they changed the price. That’s what the guarantee is.  They will tell you to use the opt out penalty free and go another provider.

Userlevel 3

You can also start a “Boycott T-Mobil” campaign in social media or seek legal help to do a Class Action lawsuit as there are many of us affected by this action from T-Mobil - that could be considered an ageism discrimination on their part...

Userlevel 2

In 2017, we signed up for the T-Mobile One program at Costco.
I just spoke with a Costco rep, and he spent quite a lot of time looking into this. His suggestion is that I (and any of you who signed up at Costco) complete the online Feedback form on the Costco.com website home page. This is the comment I left: You are welcome to use it (or a version of it):

In 2017, we signed up for the T-Mobile One program at Costco, a rate plan for customers 55+ that promised the $30 per month rate would “never” go up. We switched from AT&T and moved my mother over, also. This past week T-Mobile One customers were advised that their plan was going to be increased $5 per line per month. I have spoken to T-Mobile, but there are no options for us at the same rate.

I just spoke with a Costco rep, and he spent quite a lot of time looking into this. His suggestion is that I (and anyone who signed up at Costco) complete the online Feedback form on the Costco.com website home page. This is clearly a T-Mobile issue, but having engaged in a contract with a Costco contract vendor, we expect the same adherence to contractual promises made as we do with any Costco product.

We hope you can help us and the thousands of other Costco customers who signed up for this plan at a Costco store.

Userlevel 1

Let’s hope all contact FCC, secretary of state you live in, your congressperson and two senators and AARP.

Userlevel 1

I have encountered the same problems. They dance around the fact that they have lied to their customers who all happens to be senior citizens.  I sent the T-Mobile CEO an email, he also danced around the issue that we had been lied to. Below is his name and number, send him an email.

Mike Sievert

Mike.sievert@t-mobile.com

We are on the senior unlimited plan guaranteed ( for the life of -- hmmm ). We use less that a GB of cell data/mo. Our texts mostly go over wi fi as do most of our calls.  Can’t see how this is a drag on their profits. Seems like we are laying golden eggs at $30/line but we are on the chopping block.

I’m very disappointed with T-Mobile’s decision to shaft the Senior 55+ participants. I am in lockstep with the other contributors preceding my comments. 
I would welcome a class action lawsuit to straighten this mess out, considering others that called the company to express concerns fell on deaf ears. I too am looking for a better place to land.

Don't get me started. I was extremely frustrated to hear this news on top of all the other things that I've been going on with T-Mobile. I have spent hours each month in the store, trying to correct the overbilling the assurance claims the adding numbers adding additional lines to my account without, approving it overcharging, losing phones directing complaints to assurance only to find that assurance won't deal with it and now this I have removed my auto payment because they were overcharging me for phones that the store lost. They were also charging me $75 additional for a phone line that I did not approve , it's taking a long time to correct all of this. I have removed assurance and I've removed auto payment so they cannot abuse now they decided to charge this plan. That is the only reason why I've stayed with T-Mobile. They've tried to get me to change this plan and upgrade, but I have kept this plan because it was locked because it was never supposed to go up , I'm supposed to get a phone call from a supervisor I spoke to this morning in the Philippines. He is going to ask L and escalate my case of requesting it not to be increased and I should hear back tomorrow. I am going to escalate this outside of T-Mobile as these companies should not be taking advantage of people over 55. I am now 66 and  Should be able to rely on companies that I have been a loyal customer for more than eight years. 
I am interested in others who would like to take action steps. Please let me know. Thank you.

Userlevel 3

Ask anyone on the meaning of 55+ and they will answer that 55+ just means SENIORS.

For T-Mobile to rescind on their promise of the 55+ “$30 per month rate plan would “never” go up is simply a BREACH OF CONTRACT and to do it to the 55+ group is simply AGEISM DISCRIMINATION.

We need to have a concerted effort to bring T-Mobile to its senses - these are some:

1. File a complaint with the FCC

... https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

2. File a complaint with the BBB

... https://www.bbb.org/file-a-complaint

3. Contact your state attorney's general office.

4. Contact your congressperson and two senators.

5. Contact AARP.

6. Contact Costco, if you got your service through them.

7. Start a "Boycott T-Mobile" campaign in social media.

8.Contact your favorite law office to bring a class action lawsuit against them.

You may also try sending an email to Pres/CEO Mike Sievert

... Mike.Sievert@t-mobile.com

Remember... UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

I am really disappointed with T-Mobile raising prices for seniors when we were told they wouldn’t ever increase our rates. We cannot let them get away with this. My internet  also came with a price guarantee and they will most likely try and raise that next. Flood the Better Business Bureau with complaints because their rating will go down with them if they don’t try to resolve customer complaints. Also contact agencies and president mentioned above. We need to have our voices heard!

Can we start a class action lawsuit for this ? I was told my rate would not increase. I have been with T-Mobile for 14 years and now find the never to increase 55+ magenta plan is going up by $12 a month for me.  Living on only social security that is a huge price hike. Let me know if we can do anything. 

Christine Taylor 

I have been with TM for over 22 years and on the One55 plan locked price. I also got a message of a $5 ,increase. Honestly, I don't mind because there isn't anything out there that comes even close to the benefits TM offers automatically with each plan. If it is the point that we are supposed to be locked in, ok, I get it. However, it has been well over 10 years since I have had any price increase even though I benefited from upgrades without paying. Such as 5G. I took this time to upgrade my plan and got amazing benefits and specials. Yes, it is an increase in my bill but I'm saving on the back end because I can cancel some of my streaming accounts. I'm on a tight budget and fixed income as well, but if you do a little research and talk to an agent politely, you might find switching plans could save you money in the end. If not, Is $5 really that bad/much considering what they give us for free? I personally don't think it's asking too much. I haven't found anything else out there that comparable to what TM offers in the same price range.