2022-2023 Network Issues!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have been with T-Mobile for years and never encountered any problems/issues until the beginning of 2022 and throughout 2023. I can not connect to the internet even though I have full bars on my cellular service. I tried wifi and still encountered the no internet and you are offline error prompts. I have also done the WiFi connecting and the same prompt would come up. It doesn't matter if I am only on Cellular or WiFi, the no internet connections occurs! I have a feeling it has to do with the merging of T-Mobile and Sprint! I have been with Sprint and hated their cell service but they were cheap. By the way, it is not the VPN because I can not connect to VPN if I have no internet connection. 

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It would not be a VPN but APN setting for data. Is this for phone or home internet?

VPN is more for a private network.

https://www.proofpoint.com/us/threat-reference/vpn

Userlevel 1
Badge

It would not be a VPN but APN setting for data. Is this for phone or home internet?

Yeah, I use VPN when I use Public WiFi. And this is personal mobile phone, btw. APN. I need to look into that and see what is up then.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Here's Tmobile's apn.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/not-sold-by-t-mobile/byod-t-mobile-data-and-apn-settings

Userlevel 1
Badge

I don't think I need to change it then. And it maybe an issue with the APN itself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Is this something that occurs all the time in most areas, or randomly.

I.e. I have full bars, but no data.  I have seen/had many apps show up this year as ‘No Service’ even when my phone shows 5G UC.  Sadly, I toggle airplane mode, and its back to normal.   Ironically, I have some apps that are running (streaming audio) while the app shows ‘No Internet connection’.  Android bug or NAT GW on T-Mobile’s network… or both.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I.e. I have full bars, but no data.  I have seen/had many apps show up this year as ‘No Service’ even when my phone shows 5G UC.  Sadly, I toggle airplane mode, and its back to normal.   Ironically, I have some apps that are running (streaming audio) while the app shows ‘No Internet connection’.  Android bug or NAT GW on T-Mobile’s network… or both.

It happens in a lot of places, even when I am in a public downtown area. But it especially happens when I am at home and it happened when I was in Santa Cruz. Yeah that is also the occurrence with mine when I turn on my phone and I have Wifi and or Cellular Data on. I have screen recorded it and I have toggled the airplane mode off and on which did not work. Sometimes I would restart my phone a few times which will work for a bit until later in the day it starts to disconnect from the network. I would go from 5G to LTE and those are still wonky. I never had these issues which is weird to me. I have the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 2020 model. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yeah, I use VPN when I use Public WiFi. And this is personal mobile phone, btw. APN. I need to look into that and see what is up then.

This morning I found out that I now need to be connected to VPN in order to have internet connection. Beforehand I was not able to connect to VPN because I didn't have WiFi connection. Also I never had issues with needing to connect to the internet with or without a VPN. It is weird.

Userlevel 1

It's T-Mobile's CGNAT doing that. Huge issue with ipv6 only network when you have all of your non-business customers using private ips so that they can share ipv4 addresses.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The replacement of my SIM card fixed some things. But I think I may need the S23 at some point. I am also hoping the cellular services with T-Mobile/Sprint gets better. Sprint is THE WORST when it comes to cellular service.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Well...I can’t say that they are the worst … in my area.  As far as support goes, they aren’t that great.  As far as rural coverage goes - they have a long ways to go.  

T-Mobile is more known for its urban performance.

All carriers have their (not so) secret sauce.  Verizon it ‘was’ coverage.  AT&T … it was ?? becoming coverage and corporate.  T-Mobile it ‘was’ a scrappy urban ‘uncarrier’, now more known for high speed.  It has become closer to a carrier like AT&T/VZW in price, but currently has better performance.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Well...I can’t say that they are the worst … in my area.  As far as support goes, they aren’t that great.  As far as rural coverage goes - they have a long ways to go.  

T-Mobile is more known for its urban performance.

All carriers have their (not so) secret sauce.  Verizon it ‘was’ coverage.  AT&T … it was ?? becoming coverage and corporate.  T-Mobile it ‘was’ a scrappy urban ‘uncarrier’, now more known for high speed.  It has become closer to a carrier like AT&T/VZW in price, but currently has better performance.

I had AT&T and Sprint before I switched to T-Mobile and I found that T-Mobile did have better performance. Apparently many of those carriers did get lost in that sauce😅! I initially went with T-Mobile because of the coverage benefits (I could travel through Europe without many fees!) and the lower prices. But, I agree with the costs becoming so similar to AT&T and Verizon. I think Verizon was far too expensive for its coverage, to be honest. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I had issues with VZW in the past - and don’t have any intention of going back.

Nextel was ‘ok’ when I had it - patchy coverage due to its spectrum band, and a battery eater.

Sprint was decent, but its EVDO / 1x connection killed my SSH tunnels when text/calls came through, and I often ended up roaming on Verizon in many places (which was OK) - it was a work device (originally Nextel)

AT&T wasn’t bad - it was dirt cheap, and had Canada roaming/calling/LD with 9.99 bolt on back in 2003.  Coverage wasn’t great, and performance was ‘meh’.  It became ugly with original iPhone + Cingular until they built out a lot (and they ditched the Canada deal).  They got expensive very fast, and I went to T-Mobile.

Locally, T-Mobile has great performance and their coverage is more dense than AT&T and Verizon.

Rurally, their coverage density is ½ of that in many areas, and some places non-existent where the other 2 exist.  This isn’t everywhere - a few places, T-Mobile is better.   I’m not loyal to any carrier, and typically pick what works best for me overall.  If I had AT&T (I do for work), home service isn’t as good, and cost is higher.  If I was on the road a lot, I would not have T-Mobile