Solved

3G/4G light on Cellspot

• 14 June 2023
  • 10 replies

Badge

For the past three days the light for the 3G/4G on our CellSpot has not worked.  Several times we have unplugged the CellSpot and our modem and waited before plugging back in.  Not sure if this is making a difference in our coverage, what else  can we do?

icon

Best answer by fireguy_6364 16 June 2023, 17:40

View original

10 replies

Hi, I also have the cellspot and this has happened to me too a few days ago. There seems to be a few reddit threads about this same issue but those were from roughly 5 years ago and their issue seemed to be resolved with a firmware update.

Userlevel 1

Same issue here.  Note, though, 3G/4G much slower than the LTE.  I’m guessing that -Mobile is phasing it out and that may be why it has stopped functioning.  Can anyone at Tmo confirm or deny?

Hopefully, if they disable this, they will be able to make it handle more LTE connections.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

3G is getting phased out..4G=LTE..which is NOT getting phased out.

Same thing happened here, few days ago (3G/4G LED is out). Called TMobile for an answer. They opened a ticket.

Still getting 5 bars with the cellspot on and my iPhone is telling me the network is 5G!

Am guessing, my phone receiving 4G/LTE  AND 5G  so 5G  shows up even though the cellspot does not do 5G.

Since others are having the same issues, this is software related. The good thing is that the cellspot is still working. ( even though the LED is out)

Same problem, LED for 3/4G is out, it happened a few days ago.

I just talked to a level 2 tech who said they are turning off 3/4G and they just started rolling it out. Sounded a bit odd to me, I had not heard that 4g was going away but according to him one type of 4g (edge, an earlier type I think) is linked to 3g someway. So when one goes, so doe the other. So, until proven otherwise that well may be the reason.

Same here as everyone.   I thought something was wrong with my unit after all these years.   I have all the bars but that missing light is annoying me.  I’m actually on with them now, too.   I’ll see what they say.  I figured they are doing away with it by now.

UPDATE:   Yes, I spoke to Level 2 tech and as of June 12th, 3G has been phased out!    Why they never notified anybody is ridiculous but anyways, that’s the answer!   

Yes, they actually did notify people that 3G was being phased out - it happened for the entire industry with AT&T and Verizon doing the same thing. It was just odd that they just now turned off the cellspots with T-Mobile technically suspending 3G service on July 1st, 2022 which was a whole year ago.

These cellspots are fairly old now, they do not have 5G and if you are getting 5G it is from a nearby T-Mobile tower - they should come out with a new revision with NR 5G or MMWave 5G (I suspect MMWave is much harder to implement but makes sense to have inside your home given even the smallest wall can prevent it from being full speed).

Good Day. Im from New England RI. About 2 weeks ago my 3/4g light 🚨 went out it was bugging me because I still had full signal. I called tech they sent me another cellspot. Same issue was occurring. I called tech back and they escalated to a 2nd tier tech. Who has already been doing research. He told the light went out because there's no more 3/4g seen I have newer phone it picksup the last green light LTE 4. So that's why I have full signal. strength . So for now the cellspot will work for quite some time until they manufactured a new lte4 5g. That will be some time. Thanks for your help tmo Tech. So I will still have full signal. 3/4g is phased out. LTE 4 is still available light is green 💚🍏

Same issue with me. 3G/4G light went off few days ago. I called T-Mobile support, they told me it is because of the fact that 3G infrastructure is being phased away. It is still a big problem for me as I use phone of Indian carrier (Vodafone) on international roaming here in US and it is not working anymore. Interestingly phone is working outside my home where the signals from the T-Mobile tower is reaching to my phone. This simply means they have updated the software of ccell spot which is resulting in switching off of 4G signals along with 3G but the same thing is not happening with T-mobile towers. Explaining this to T-mobile support is very difficult :(

Technical Support keep saying “use wifi calling” but they don't understand that WiFi calling can not be used while in international roaming unless supported by home carrier which is Vodafone in my case. T-mobile must update the software of cell spot to rectify this issue. Cell spot should behave identical to T-Mobile towers used in city infrastructure.

No more 3/4g phased out. LTE 4 will work and green light stays on. Full signal strength. Maybe you'll come out with an updated LTE 4 5g. But for know I'm happy LTE 4 is lit and working with full signal strength!! Thanks Robert technician Colorado