Solved

50 GB per month is that some kind of joke?

• 20 January 2024
  • 9 replies

Badge

When I set up the T-Mobile Internet I explained to the woman I need one and a quarter terabytes of high-speed per month and after 50 gigs or one day their modem basically turned into a doorstop T-Mobile needs to get out of the 1990s and into 2024 where people stream at 1080p and 4K

icon

Best answer by Waynesky 20 January 2024, 22:19

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Regular TM 5G Internet service has unlimited data.  The internet “light” plans have data-caps...is that what you are talking about?  Or perhaps you are using your phone as a hotspot?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Regular TM 5G Internet service has unlimited data.  The internet “light” plans have data-caps...is that what you are talking about?  Or perhaps you are using your phone as a hotspot?

If you read the terms and conditions all plans have  unlimited data but they throttle speeds after a certain limit according to what plan you're on.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Not exactly.  The internet lite service throttled to 3G speeds after exceeding your data-cap, but the standard 5G Unlimited Internet service doesn't do that.  I've never exceeded the terabyte the OP wants but routinely get close to that with no slowdowns.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Read the terms again. Location and tower use will also cause slow downs. If you're in a giant apartment complex and the majority of the users are using TMHI throttling will happen. I have 4 giant apartment complexes behind me a data is slow.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I did read the terms.  For the Unlimited plans the key word is "prioritization"...not throttling per se. The Imternet lite plan does, in fact, throttle and its effect is dramatic. I could barely read emails when that happened.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Also if you read the terms it says that service is not guaranteed as does the other carriers. So if they can't guarantee service how are they going to guarantee data speeds?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Well I don't disagree about having no garrentees. But I have first-hand experience with both Lite (throttled) and Unlimited plans and they really are very different.  You get e-mails from TM when you approach your data-cap and warnings that you are going to be throttled. If you are throttled, there is no recovery until your next billing cycle. You get very slow speeds (1 mbps ?) and that's that.  With Unlimited your prioritization can recover when system usage subsides.

Badge

my bad on this one T-Mobile straightened it out. It was the tower having problems they have notified engineering to straighten it out, maybe without for a day and it is unlimited and no throttling on home Internet

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ive hit +300GB/month over the past year, and no issues.  Typical is hitting 250-300GB/month.