Solved

5G

• 19 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

Why does the map show I have extended 5G coverage when half thr time I have no coverage to only one bar and it is usually AT&T?

icon

Best answer by formercanuck 20 March 2024, 16:26

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Extended coverage is basically domestic roaming.  Depending on what AT&T has deployed in that area.  It might be an issue of compatibility with your device and the roaming partner or just exceptionally poor coverage by the domestic roaming partner.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

‘Extended Range LTE’ ≈ LTE 600MHz/LTE 700MHz, basically meaning … you’re in a fringe or ‘No Service’ area.

If you went to the FCC’s “new” mobile coverage map, you’d most likely see that area (drilling down) as ‘No Service’.  T-Mobile’s customer map over exaggerates ‘fair’ coverage , and often includes large areas that have no service.  I’ve compared the 2 in areas where I have ‘No Service’ and T-Mobile shows either 5G or 4G LTE extended range.  In those areas, FCC’s maps are pretty much on the mark for ‘No Service’, while T-Mobile fills them all in.

In some areas .. you may end up on a roaming carrier like AT&T.  Eg.  Gaviota State Beach, CA … T-Mobile shows 4G LTE, it used to have 2G only.  FCC shows ‘No Service’.  I end up with AT&T roaming or Verizon SoS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Eg.

vs.