5G and LTE Drops Intermittently

• 2 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have a Samsung Galaxy 24+, and before that 23+. I’m experiencing both 5G and LTE drop simultaneously and intermittently, even though my location has not changed. What I’m left with is a full 5 bar cell signal (2G?) that can’t send/receive TEXT messages! It’s a mystery as to why this is happening but if I wait a bit of time it self corrects. The end result is that I’m unable to reliably receive or send text messages - depending on whether this issue is happening. Given how often sites are now wanting to leverage two-factor identification this is a problem! 

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

What I’ve done to troubleshoot:

• Airplane mode on/off/on
  • Reboot phone
  • Reset mobile network,
  • T-mobile checked tower

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

physical sim card or esim? if the physical sim card was swapped to the new phone that could be it..if its an esim i dont think this would be the problem unless they need to do a reset on the back end with it.

does this happen in other locations other than at home/work or wherever this usually happens?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

If you’re out in San Luis Obispo / Santa Barbara County in California, then its possible that you’re dealing with a regional rebuild/update of infrastructure.

I had the issue of ‘roaming’ from San Luis Obispo (Arroyo Grande) through to Goleta, CA.

In these areas, I was either roaming on AT&T (that hasn’t happened in years) or down to 2G EDGE.  These areas all had 5G n71 and even 5G UC n41.

Upon contacting T-Mobile, T-Mobile tech’s couldn’t find T-Mobile’s own tower ( 1 rep could after given cell ID + LAC from cell mapper).  Site has been down since Oct 2023, and according to engineering won’t be touched until 4th quarter 2024.

I suspect that some of this may be to deal with capacity requirements given by the state.