5G Internet throttling

• 15 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge
  • First activity
  • 1 reply

Just got this email stating users who consume more than 1.2 TB per month (which we just do) will have “lower priority” than other users.  

“Thanks for being a T‑Mobile Home Internet customer! To ensure the best network experience for all customers, we have updated our fair use policy. During times of congestion, customers using more than 1.2TB in a month (more than 2.5x the average user) may notice lower priority among other internet customers.”

So I assume if my internet starts to lag during peak usage times I will need to look elsewhere for Internet service providers. Love my T-Mobile 5G but never would have switched service if I knew this. 

TIA, Sco

7 replies

Me to.

So, the average user does 0.5 TB. I doubt it in mid-2024.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Those just started being ‘added’ in the past month or so on newer TMo Home Internet accounts

I can’t say that I’m a fan of it … but if I look to the other providers in my area:

AT&T:  xDSL, 55/month for ‘Air’ or 60/month for Uverse with 1TB Cap with ‘overage’ fees.

Badge

Those just started being ‘added’ in the past month or so on newer TMo Home Internet accounts

I can’t say that I’m a fan of it … but if I look to the other providers in my area:

AT&T:  xDSL, 55/month for ‘Air’ or 60/month for Uverse with 1TB Cap with ‘overage’ fees.

Yeah I can go back to unlimited Spectrum internet and then I’d drop to a lower level of phone service as well so I’m not sure T-Mobile has thought this out very well.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I currently have ‘both’ (need to migrate email off spectrum)

Spectrum  $60/month for 100/10Mbps

T-Mobile $25/month for 500-700Mbps/40-90Mbps. 

My general usage has been ~350-500GB.

When I first received the email, I contacted T-Mobile immediately.  I was told flat out that I was Unlimited and would never be subject to this and that the email was just an automated update.

The day after I received another email that said we would be subject to the throttling. I called and was told we would absolutely be limited. 

I've enjoyed the service, but we cannot afford any throttling....sorry, they hate that term.  I was told it was absolutely not throttling.  It was 'data deprioritization related slowdown."

We've been away from Spectrum long enough, I was able to sign up for a 1 Gig line for the same price as I was paying for T-Mobile.  I have to sign up for two years... Maybe T-Mobile will work out the bugs by that time.  

To their credit T-Mobile is refunding several months of the last few payments.

I'm still with their mobile service. But I'm checking options there as well.

I wonder if the 1.2 TB policy will disproportionately affect senior citizens -- i.e., people on the 55+ plans. We're home more and therefore use our TVs/devices more on wifi. We average nearly 1.5 TB/month. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m doubtful.  Many seniors would have to leave their 4K TVs running quite a bit to hit +1.2TB

I work remotely from home, and run streaming + zoom (4-6 hours/day) + VPN + TVs and download quite a bit.~300GB is kinda normal.  Could I hit 1.2TB … sure, it isn’t hard to do, but doesn’t just happen randomly.

Sure, If I left my TV streaming unattended, it’ll hit 1.2TB in less than a week if on standard Netflx HD.

1.2TB ≈ 1200GB.  1 month ≈ 720 hours

At 3GB/hour, one would hit 2.16TB.  So you ‘could’ hit 1.2TB watching TV for 12 hours / day, or 2 TV’s watching for 6 hours…. 7 days/ week.