5G issue

• 13 September 2022
  • 15 replies

Badge

I'm a T-Mobile customer. Recently I purchased (over $1,000) an Apple 13 Pro Max so I could start enjoying 5G. I checked first if my home has 5G coverage (see attached). My address is in Schererville, IN 46375. Will there be improvement to the cell towers near me so I can get better than 1 bar of reception as well as using 5G technology? Thanks.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

fully public site so everyone and their mom now know your physical address..try to avoid posting anything personal. if you absolutely feel the need for a location post your city, state and closest cross streets only so there is a general area.

what phone did you have before? and did you get a new sim card or did you transfer your old sim card to the new phone?

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I checked first if my home has 5G coverage (see attached). My address is in Schererville, IN 46375.

Don’t see any attachments.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I checked first if my home has 5G coverage (see attached). My address is in Schererville, IN 46375.

Don’t see any attachments.

got edited out

Badge

How do I delete a post or question I’ve posed to the forum members?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

was it sent through private message in here or are you meaning the thread here?

Badge

Just want 5o heed your advice. I just selected “conversaion” prior to posting my stupid question.

Badge

The hole thread I imagine~~

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

lol no worries. i flagged your post to be edited due to the personal info. the Admin/Moderator already took care of it.

what was your previous phone and did you end up getting a new sim card to put into the phone or did the sim card from the old phone get switched into the new phone?

Badge

Thanks much Fireguy. In response to you earlier question - my previous phone was an Apple XR. I don’t think they transferred the old Sim card to the new phone. I spoke with what seemed like a relatively intellingent tech support person today who told me T-Mobile is working on the towers near me, so once the changes take place, I should have the 5G issue resolved. Interesting, though, I still get 5G coverage once I’m a few hundred yards from my home. Guess I’ll just have to wait for the upgrades. Thanks for your help.

Ralph 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

oddly enough you can use what direction you move and gain 5G to tell you which direction that tower is you are connecting to. at times it’ll surprise you at just how many signal blocking things can end up between you and that tower. im lucky at least at my work..i know which tower TMO is actually on and can probably shoot it with a kmart bb gun from my work place lol…

my shop inside the warehouse though has just about every signal killing thing you can imagine so pulling in what i do is a bit above par..

theyre still doing quite a bit of network upgrades still..converting Sprint towers and whatnot..this is probably going to take a few more years to fully get taken care of (not your tower but all of them lol..unless theyre running into part shortages i guess).

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I'm a T-Mobile customer. Recently I purchased (over $1,000) an Apple 13 Pro Max so I could start enjoying 5G. I checked first if my home has 5G coverage (see attached). My address is in Schererville, IN 46375. Will there be improvement to the cell towers near me so I can get better than 1 bar of reception as well as using 5G technology? Thanks.

Schereville is a big chunk of land and 5G isn't a perfect network yet. I'm waiting for Android 14 with the Starlink satellite coverage for the holes in the coverage.

I live in AZ where at home I get 3mbs download speed but can go a couple blocks away and get 300 mbs speeds.

BTW is the old Holiday Star Theatre still open on Rte. 30? I saw a lot of great bands and comedians there back in my youth.

Badge

Thanks Fireguy-I’ll give it a try.

Badge

Hey Gramps28 - sadly enough they thoroughly tore down the Star Theatre and all related, attached towers, restaurants, etc. about 5 or 6 years ago. Still just a big empty lot on the west side of rte. 65.

Userlevel 1

Yeah, I get the same thing - where 5G works, it works well.  Over 500Mb in the upstairs bedroom.  But on the opposite side of our garage, it comes to a grinding halt.  Still has 2 bars, but latency and speed are nil until it (if ever) switches over to LTE.

That seems to be a big part of the problem, the signal is still strong enough but the data transmission gets stuck when on 5G, and it’s not tryna fall back to LTE so quickly.  The solution I’m using is to force my phone to LTE mode all the time.  Still get pretty good speeds (up to 150mbit)…

That still doesn’t solve the problem that I spent $800 on a new phone when my old phone I traded in worked better!  Can’t get the old phone, or my money back.  Still, I report ALL dead areas to CS through the Facebook messenger.  Service address, time of day, bars of service, speed test result (often it’s just a failure message).  This just isn’t at my house but many, many places I’ve been in several states.

Usually the answer I get is “We’re working on the tower upgrades in that area” or “There’s still a tower or few we are working on to get that area up.”

Still, I think they appreciate the updates.  What I don’t appreciate is the $800+ I am paying over 2 years after I traded my old phone in that was having no such issues.

Badge

Does anyone have a clue as to when e-Mrsobile will make necessary upgrades to certain of their towers that are promised to improve my reception in zip code 46375 in NW Indiana? If not as promised by the several T-Mobile techs I’ve spoken with, I’ll have no choice but to switch to Verizon.