Question

bad signal nokia router

• 21 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I am currently not able to get more than two bars on my Nokia router labeling my internet connection as weak. I've never gotten above three bars. Will a different router work better.?. Maybe something with an antenna?  I'm about to cancel my home internet because I can't stream or do anything with a signal this weak.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

How much different ‘performance wise’ is your router than your phone ?

I’ve had my Arcadyan in ‘weak’ signal mode, giving +200Mbps.  Of course, where I am, and the capacity plays a huge difference.

Biggest change for ‘better’ service is to

1. Place device closest/highest place to where the T-MObile HI app tells you your ‘tower’ is.
  2. Find the ‘clearest’ path to the tower (least buildings/trees/walls, etc)
  3. rotate the device.

I.e. high location for me shows ‘weak’, (blocked by neighbors house + building across street), while low location next to a window gives me ‘good’.  Opening the windows gives me ‘very good’.  This is almost a clear shot to the tower.  ‘Very Good ≈ 450-500Mbps’, Good ≈ 350-400Mbps.

Badge

My phone performance is so much better than my router. I can't even steam with the router no matter where I place it. Have put it everywhere in my apartment and still only get two bars. Even near the windows in the direction of the tower. If the router had an antenna I could then place it outside and then maybe get good reception. Customer service couldn't confirm my account even with sending a code to the router which never showed up. I don't want to have to cancel the service cuz I really want a good working service but I feel I have no choice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

If you’re using an Arcadyan , there are external antenna.  

That being said, these, in most cases do not get the best service.  If you’re using the app (vs browser) you can get the stats.  Also, if you have an android phone, use cellmapper.net app to locate which tower you are hitting.  In theory, it will show what is between you and the tower.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Will a different router work better.?. Maybe something with an antenna?

If you can hold out a couple of months, T-Mobile appears to be introducing two new gateways that have more internal antennas, and one that can accept outside antennas.

https://tmo.report/2023/06/t-mobile-has-two-new-home-internet-gateways-in-the-pipeline-heres-what-we-know