Solved

Bring my Device s21 has never connected to 5g anywhere

• 8 July 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

2 years ago, I purchased two unlocked Galaxy S21 phones, and put them on T-Mobile.  We have - never - been able to connect to 5G anywhere in the country.  After several calls and a few hours on the phone with T-mobile over several months, they seem to have given up on me.  Has anyone else who brought their own device had this kind of issue?  I’d gladly switch to another carrier if I could have guaranteed 5g coverage.

icon

Best answer by tidbits 10 July 2023, 07:46

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What is the model number of the unlocked s21’s?

What 5G bands does the phone have?

Badge

I Have  S 21 FE as well and having similar issues.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Which version of the device and where purchased from?  Just because devices have the same name doesn’t mean they support the same spectrum for all carriers.  If the device is a European/Asian version then it will not support all spectrum and will not work.

Also you may need to change the APN in some cases to match the carrier you are running and if the device is unlocked branded versions you will have to do this manually. 

We need some more info on your device please.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If they are international models from outside of the US or Canada.  Compatibility for 5G will be very hit or miss.  Carriers overseas use very different bands than we use in North America.  You might want to visit XDA and see if there is a combination firmware available for the device that would make it more compatible with T-Mobile USA.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

also what was the device prior to the current device? was it 5G capable? if not and you swapped sim cards that would be why. youre needing a 5G capable sim card.

Badge

Hello I have a similar issue and I went to the Tmobile carrier and the sim cars didn't work for me so I am in the process of a new phone and also a neighbor told their was work being done so at the moment I am holding off and seeing if that is the case instead of the phone 📱  thanks for the informative information 🙂 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

travel around then. make sure your phone is set to 5G and or Auto...you should see 5G pop up in other areas if its in fact a network upgrade causing you to not pick it up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Check settings→ about phone → model name

Some models are not for TMobile bands of 5g

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

There are also places that do not have 5G service available.  Do you have 5G service where you are using your devices?