Question

Coverage and signal keep changing

• 23 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

Just wondering if anyone else is not loving the new 5G system like I am. We had to get new phones because of the old 3G system going away so we changed carriers and phones and went with T-Mobile because they showed 5G coverage everywhere we needed it (House, work, cottage). Well, so far the reality has been far different than the promise. We both get worse coverage with our new plan/phones than we used to, even though we were on the old Sprint network before. We seldom see 5G, mostly LTE (But even showing that most times we can’t get a page to load) and sometime EDGE with a signal strength of about -119. This morning my phone was showing Edge but with 5 bars and a signal of -51, I thought maybe something was updated, but no, an hour later it’s back to -119 and LTE. How can my phone be set to AUTO, be on the same network as before and get worse coverage ? I NEVER saw EDGE coverage on my old phone. Today I got an E-Mail from T-Mobile asking me if I am enjoying Netflix on my phone, like I have a chance of streaming ANYTHING with my signal. 

Both of us would go back to what we had if we could, not at all what we were expecting.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I’m showing legacy Sprint customers should have access to T-Mobile’s 5G network with a compatible 5G device. If it’s not working in a specific area, we’d like to see if it’s working in another 5G area. The end result is usually filing a service complaint network connections in that area with our Engineering team.

Badge

I work in the metro Detroit area and live about 15 miles from there. Both areas show 5G extended coverage on your coverage map but both have terrible signals on both our new Samsung A32 5G phones. I never had a problem with calls with my old Samsung J7, now it takes 3 tries to get a call to connect and then they can’t hear me. My signal has been lousy since we got them 2 weeks ago. I did a network reset as T-Mobile requested last week with no improvement. Not sure what to do next. How do I file the complaint?

If I was on the Sprint network before how did it get worse now? Most of the time if we try to look something up our phones tell us we have no connection even though the phone shows LTE.

Frustrating

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

go into your mobile settings and change it from 5G to 4G and then see if things improve..the phone will always prioritize 5G even if its a weaker signal..so might be your issue. if it is and things improve then your area is in need of additional 5G upgrades at some point

Badge

I’ll try it, but it’s still frustrating that we looked at all our common locations to assure we would get a decent signal before we switched over to T-Mobile.

Will changing over to the 4G signal have an effect on calls as well? My phone already shows LTE for voice network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

it should not no..

when you got the new devices did they give you new sim cards or did you put in the sim card from your previous phones?

Badge

New phones with new SIM cards, we were told by our old provider (Boost mobile, Sprint network) that ours would be obsolete when the 3G system shut down so we had to upgrade, so far not much of an upgrade.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

i also switched over from Sprint..havent had many complaints so far...5G in my area could be better but like you i didnt exactly have 5G when i was with Sprint in my areas..theyre still upgrading towers etc so might be part of the issues you see..either needing more upgrades or currently in process perhaps.