Question

Download speeds great, upload virtually ZERO

• 1 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

I have been wanting (and trying) to switch to T-Mobile for probably 4 years.  We get brand new iPhone every year + we have a new iPad.  Over about 10 different devices I get great download speeds but my uploads are virtually nothing.  On a VERY GOOD day I get 2(two)Mbps but on a usual day I get .2Mbps (that is POINT 2 Mbps).  Every time I get a new phone I try T-Mo again usually on a “free test” trial plan and occasionally on a 500 megs of data plan just to see if anything is changed.  I am currently on a Verizon MVNO.  No issues, great data speeds up and down.

Latest devices are iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPhone 13 Mini and an iPad Mini 6 all 5G devices.

Just took the trial on my new iPhone 14 Pro Max and same thing.  In the past IU have called useless tech support and am told everything from “it’s a tower problem” to “no one else complains” to “we have sent a report to (whoever) and they will get back to you.”  Of course that never happens … been waiting for years!  :D

Attached images are tests taken within the last couple hours.  What could be the explanation for this?  INDOORS I have terrible download speeds (10-20Mbps) unless I stand by a window but by a window or OUTSIDE  I have seen speeds as high as 450Mbps … but totally useless upload speeds.  

The lower speed DOWNLOADS are indoors. I can understand BOTH up & down being bad but why are upload speeds ALWAYS so horrendous?

4 replies

We are having the same issues only we DID have decent upload speeds until 6 weeks ago. Now our speed look like the screen shots of this post. Why hasn't t mobile responded to this post? It's obvious there is an issue….???

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

We are having the same issues only we DID have decent upload speeds until 6 weeks ago. Now our speed look like the screen shots of this post. Why hasn't t mobile responded to this post? It's obvious there is an issue….???

This is basically a peer to peer site. If you are having problems you should contact T-Mobile through 1 of their online sites like Twitter or Facebook.

I tried Facebook and got nowhere. I'll try Twitter...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’ll get this ‘specifically’ on devices that are running 5G UC SA (LTE not connected) and connected to n41.

n41 ‘can’ give great download and upload speeds ( ~700Mbps/100Mbps), however …

That’s on an optimal site / service.  n41 is at the high end of midband, and is … quite weak.  This becomes more noticeable on upload (small/weak handset pushing a weak signal).

On the flip side, n71 (extended range) is low band, and has good signal strength, and is much like older tech in many ways.  Performance is ‘ok’ on download, but typically very good on upload. 

Eg.  My home internet on n41 + lte gives ~400Mbps/20Mbps on ‘good’ service, while n71 + lte gives ~170Mbps/70Mbps.

Best of both worlds = n41 on download and n71 on upload.

Of course, some newer devices have better 5g/4g carrier aggregation, allowing for n41 + n25 + n71 or n41 + n25 + LTE B66 + …

Top end of a ‘great’ area has given my +2Gbps download and 140Mbps upload.