Solved

Going on a cruise...

• 2 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I’m going on a cruise to the eastern caribbean and want to know if I’ll be charged to use my data or make phone calls while at the various ports. From what I have previously read - I shouldn’t use my phone [put it in airplane mode] while on the ship itself and that is fine. But what about while in the ports?  The ports are: Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, U.S. Virgin Islands, St. Kitts, Antigua and St. Maarten.  Thanks for any input :)

icon

Best answer by drnewcomb 2 February 2023, 13:21

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Roaming fees for anything on cruise ships are insane to put it mildly.  Putting your device into Airplane Mode when close to the ship and while aboard will ensure that you aren’t charged insane rates like $7 a minute for calls and $2 a text, let alone the crazy data rates.  It is always good to purchase the onboard ships WiFi package when you can.  That will keep you in touch with your social media and allow you to check any e-mail you feel the need to.  

Cruise ships are not covered under any standard roaming packages because they use the towers owned and operated by the cruise ships, which will bill T-Mobile if you do happen to connect to their cell tower onboard.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

What @syaoran says is correct. Shipboard roaming is expensive, at best. AFAIK, in port roaming in the Caribbean (except Cuba) is all reasonable. Here are my hints for safe, cost-effective international roaming.