Question

Has anyone successfully used a app that requires UDP packets

• 25 January 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

I have seen several posts mentioning T-Mobile blocking UDP traffic. I have noticed that on random occasions, I am able to use my remote radio control app requiring UDP packets.  It only lasts for a few hours and only once in a few days.  Has anyone had any success with apps which require UDP.  I use an iPhone 15 Pro Max and have tried both 5G and compatibility hotspot modes.

Bob W

5 replies

Badge

Have you had any luck with the UDP blocking?  I’m just noticing the problem with my new car that has 5G service, my ham radio Open Spot2 & 3 no longer can connect to the internet. They occasionally hook up but  they drop after a short while. I can see it’s the cars wifi that is the problem in that as soon as I get near my home, the open spot jumps on my home wifi with no issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m trying to think if there is a way to explicitly request a UDP QOTD or something. It’s been a long time since I played around at that level.

Badge

Sorry, guys.  No luck yet.  Today UDP port 4993 which I use to control my ham radio station, was unblocked for about three hours and then blocked again.  I have tried with no luck talking to a T-Mobile tech.  If I uncover anything, I will post it here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I just set up the VPN server on my new home router which uses OpenVPN TUN UDP protocol. I don’t know if it’s actually using UDP or has fallen back to TCP, but it works.

Badge

Sorry, guys.  No luck yet.  Today UDP port 4993 which I use to control my ham radio station, was unblocked for about three hours and then blocked again.  I have tried with no luck talking to a T-Mobile tech.  If I uncover anything, I will post it here.

When you speak to the techs, what is their response? Do they acknowledge that it's being blocked, deny it or do they react  that you have no idea what is going on and blame something else on your end?  I don’t know at what level this filtering occurs. Is it at the cell site or the network? I only recently started having the issue of being blocked out almost all the time. In the past I would get drop outs thinking it was just poor cell service and I was losing the internet connection. I’ve also only been on T-Mobile in my car since December. My car before that had AT&T data service and that worked fine with my open spot.