Question

Home Internet Placement Test

• 9 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

So I did the home internet placement test and found the stronger signal (upstairs next to window) but my wifi does not appear in my wifi settings nor my mobile wifi settings. But when I set the router up back down stairs it shows up but with a much weaker signal. Is T Mobile blocking me from setting up with a stronger signal? The placement test lead me to upstairs.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

No … it doesn’t work that way.  Are you testing out your Home Internet ‘near’ the device ?

In theory, it should auto reconnect if you’ve connected before.  While it does take a minute or 2 - you’ll be able to connect to WiFi regardless.  If you have a computer/laptop with ethernet, plug it in, and see what’s going on.

I’ve personally moved mine to various places to test out service, and never had issues with the WiFi not connecting, unless I was either too far away from the device (range isn’t the greatest), didn’t save the configuration, or my device auto connected back to my existing while I was moving it.

Badge

Yeah I'm positive I followed all the steps correctly. I've also set up my router in multiple different areas of the house and had no connectivity issues. So today I decided to do the placement test and followed the way I was supposed to, stayed near the router and all. But it doesn't auto reconnect, it doesn't even show up in my wifi settings as a choice. I'm just puzzled because it appears downstairs but it doesn't appear in the reccommend placement test spot. That's what makes me think it's something on their in and I'm just skeptical. I'll get an ethernet cable see what's going on I'll check back after I do that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Only other ‘interesting’ way to test this theory out ….

• Extension cord and ‘walk with it’ from one location to another.
  • Portable power (Jackery) and walk with it to test.

Old 4G LTE device came with a battery, and was truly portable.