Question

Horrible coverage in Evansville/Poseyville, IN

• 2 October 2023
  • 11 replies

Badge

I have had T-Mobile for a couple years now, and we consistently have horrible coverage.  The map shows all pink, but when at home, I have only 2 bars.  I consistently drop calls and get the dreaded “E” at the top to show I have no service.  When travelling, I can’t depend on having service.  My parents are on my account, and they have horrible coverage as well.  What can be done to boost the coverage for us?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

nothing that wont limit your reception to your home only. what phones do yall have? and no matter where you go its junk signal or does it actually improve here and there?

also does it show 4G up top or 5G on the phones?

Badge

3 of us have Galaxy A12, one has Apple Iphone 12, and my parents have LG something.  Occasionally we have a good signal, but 80% of the time it is a junk signal.  4G is on top.  My son with the Apple has the best connection, and he has 5G.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Looking at cellmapper, Evansville, IN should be fine.  Poseyville IN, on the other hand is right at the handoff between 2 towers.  One to the west 

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.1971906,-87.8339568,3a,15y,242.69h,98.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sibz0ZSIpkkjw5nzCdNZXcQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.153834,-87.7071004,3a,75y,265.32h,113.66t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sjSGsA5oMKeUUoEnO_CRLKQ!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DjSGsA5oMKeUUoEnO_CRLKQ%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D81.475365%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

The irony is that T-Mobile has effectively all of its towers out in the fields, and looking at their maps, 5G UC is available for most areas … except the towns.

Both Verizon and AT&T have a site (same tower) on Water Tank Road.

Samsung A12 doesn’t have 5G (5G n71 would help in performance, n25 might .. if it can reach).

If the coverage on the iPhone isn’t usable for the most part, you may be wanting a different carrier.   If you have a legacy great deal, you might look for a signal booster and find better phones (like the iPhone in one case)

Badge

How do we go about getting a signal booster?  Is that through TMobile, or on our own?

Badge

I just looked at the link for the towers you sent.  My parents live right near the one on Waller Hill Rd, so they should definitely have service.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

depends on how close to the tower they are. if theyre super close the signal can be going right over their heads..people think of the towers as putting out a umbrella of a signal..not true..put a dot in the center of a piece of paper then draw a triangle out from it.then another to the side of it..then another random one..those are how the antenna send out signal..dito with the signal pushing out..it doesnt just shoot right to the ground and out..same triangle signal pushing out..so when they make an adjustment to said antenna its one getting directional adjustments. so one person can have their signal improve while the other starts to loose signal since that triangle just moved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

True.  Think of the ‘tower’ like a floodlight.  Typically there are 3 sets of antenna (3 sectors ≈ 120 degrees apart) to cover.  Best spot is typically where the antenna are pointed (down tilt + direction).  Cell edges are non-optimal.  That area looks pretty rural, so I doubt that being below the tower will be an issue, unless it’s on their property.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

yeah. the times you’ll see more issues is in large cities like SF for example..down by the warf all the antenna are on top of buildings..so add onto the fact that they push out in a triangle ish shape..but now add on a pretty decent elevation jump compared to a regular tower..and then all the buildings in between it and the phones at ground level ..fun stuff lol.

we got to check out some of the Sprint pics when they started doing their tower upgrades..entire street shut down so they can get cranes and such in there to try and get everything up to the top..

Badge

Does T-Mobile provide cell boosters, since they say they have 4G coverage in both of our locations, but we don’t have?  We are ready to look for another carrier, if the service doesn’t improve.  We switched to TMobile because of the great rates and customer service.  However, having bad coverage outweighs those good things.  We didn’t have that much trouble when we had AT&T.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You can call.  I suspect that they will promote a ‘cell spot ‘, which actually requires someone's internet to be used as a service, and its range is typically limited to a house.

WeBoost/Wilson sell amplifiers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

with that being said though most phones have wifi calling now days..if you already have wifi at home technically you could connect to that once youre home to regain signal...but again only limited to your home and maybe a bit outside.