Solved

how do I turn off my gateway?

• 16 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

I just got my gateway and was wondering how to turn it off so it doesn’t use data when I am not at home. I held down the middle button and nothing happened.. thanks for your help.

icon

Best answer by nc1037 16 October 2023, 15:51

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Obviously you could unplug it.

Are you sure you want to do this?  Your plan should have unlimited data.  Home security cameras and automated routines won’t work.   When you restart the gateway, it takes a few minutes for everything to reconnect.

Badge

I only have 200 gigs a month. I have the lite version. The regular one is not available in my area.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Ah, too bad the regular plan is not available.  You’re going to have to be careful with streaming; that’s what can really eat up the GB.  (Don’t use HDR/4K/Dolby Vision)

As I recall, I can see the daily usage online (logged into T-Mobile account.)  I suggest leaving the gateway On for several days to see how much your household needs normally.  If you’re worried, try turning it off (uplugging it) when you leave for the day and see if that makes much of a difference.

Good luck!

Badge

Thanks. I had cricket wireless before this and they recommended turning off the hotspot when not in use. I just didn't want to mess up my gateway by unplugging it and plugging it back in all the time. Didn't know if it would mess with the gateway if I did that. Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

It shouldn’t mess up your gateway.

I was away recently.  My home used less than 2 GB each day that I was away.  I suspect the biggest usage was when I viewed recordings and live look-ins on my security camera system.

Badge

Thank you. I just use my Internet for streaming and browsing, no security cameras or anything like that

Thanks for your quick response 🙂 have a great day.