Solved

In a huge 5g area but phones getting 4g only

Badge

I don't get it my phone has been reverted to 4g its a Samsung s23 I did all the basic trouble shooting but nothings working. I will add I reset the access point name to default idk if that helped or made it worse but it's fusterating 

icon

Best answer by formercanuck 21 July 2023, 02:06

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

purchased from TMO or brought in as a bring your own device?

since the APN was mentioned…

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/not-sold-by-t-mobile/byod-t-mobile-data-and-apn-settings

Badge

Got it directly from tmobile 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Devices will not sit on 5G usually.  In an area where 5G SA is not available or if VoNR is not enabled on the device.  The device will spend most of its time on LTE and only switch to 5G when larger or fast downloads are being pulled.

Badge

@syaoran  what's 5g SA?! I checked my map coverage and it's ultimate 5g where I'm at and also wait what's VONR? lol sorry but what is that ? No I noticed it hardly goes to 5g at all. My dad's phone is 5g all day with the same area so I don't get it. It's been 4g consistently 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

5G SA is Stand Alone 5G, which means, you can make and receive calls over 5G.  There is also 5G NSA or Non-Stand Alone, which is for data only.  VoNR is Voice over New Radio.  NR or New Radio is what 5G uses.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m ~1200’ from a T-Mobile tower, and the ‘label’ will often show 4G LTE, 5G and sometimes 5G UC.

The problem with these labels, is that they’re ½ of the time … just that.  I have a screenshot showing +500Mbps on ‘4G LTE’.

Unless you ‘force’ your device to 5G SA, you’ll get whatever is available, and the ‘best’ for management and use .. at the time.  During calls, its often ‘5G’ or ‘4G LTE’.  Another ‘note’  LTE B2 often shows up on Samsung as 5G.

@syaoran  what's 5g SA?! I checked my map coverage and it's ultimate 5g where I'm at and also wait what's VONR? lol sorry but what is that ? No I noticed it hardly goes to 5g at all. My dad's phone is 5g all day with the same area so I don't get it. It's been 4g consistently 

Same problem. Looking here for solution.  

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/not-sold-by-t-mobile/byod-t-mobile-data-and-apn-settings

The link does not work

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The link does not work

That link works for me.

Userlevel 1

Don't believe the map or the lies! After  months a knowledgeable T-Mobile technician stated" you will never get reliable service in your location". T-MOBILE has lied at all times since we signed up! Use the FCC speed test app..If you factually comment on their service, they will just remove and block you from their sites!