Question

increase tmobile home internet 5g

• 19 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

I just got the Home 5g internet box. Tested it out. Internet dropped a lot (las vegas, 89103) but then I don't use the internet. I only need upload speed of 5-6mps at constant can I request or set it up for that? 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

What does the T-Mobile Home Internet app show for service ?  

Poor / Weak / Good / Very Good / Excellent ?

Where I am, its typically showing ‘Good’ (ironically before T-Mobile upgraded, it was showing ‘Very Good’ under LTE only, and ‘typical’ speed varied between 60-120Mbps, with times often ~15-30Mbps.

Now that the site has been rebuilt, speeds are ~400Mbps-500Mpbs and at times as low as 300Mbps.

I suspect that the panels were at a slightly different azimuth and degree on the sector (B2 + B66 + B12 + B71/N71 in one panel vs 3) and n41 (oddly enough no B41 active!) 

if you have decent service (good or better), +10Mbps upload should be not a problem.  If you’re using LTE only … that may be an issue.  Vegas should have good service, but I can’t say how good it is off the strip.

Badge

Thank you for the 400-500mbps. I'm in shock!!!! I got only .04 mbps upload and 5mbps download 98% of all tests. Once in a while (2%) I saw 10-22 mbps download and 3-5 mbps upload. The bars are always 3-4 which is good and very good. Then I moved it closer to the window and now it's 4 bars most of the time but the mbps still the same. I use cat5e ethernet cable. The computer is a gaming system. So then I thought I test the speed test with the cell phone using the wifi from the box and yes it has the exact same results. And when I disconnect the wifi and use the cell phone 5g it went to 200mbps download and 27 mbps upload. Just talked to tmobile customer care then they concluded its congestion and my box might not be working at all because when I shut off the power and they played on their end to get me to test it to 200 mbps it gave me the same result when I rebooted with 4 bars. And we did it 3 times. One time with the 1st lady and 2 times with the 2nd guy who is the technician. Hopefully the new box he ordered for me will fix it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You will want to use the TMobile Home Internet app to ‘dial in’ the best location, specifically 5g n41.  The device is ‘very’ directional, and typically more succeptable to location than your phone.  Use the tool to find the closest site, as well as direction.  Something as simple as a window will give worse service (good vs very good) if is open.  it may take some time to find the best location and direction

Badge

How would you find the best directional? They told me to just move the box around and see. "Dial in"?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

use the app, home may vary a bit , but advanced metrics will help.

specifically, 5g, higher Sinr is better, smaller numerically rsrp  is better.