Intermittent Gateway Internet connection

• 7 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have a t-mobile gateway for Wi-Fi service in the Vero Beach, Florida area. My gateway reports a “good” signal (3bars) consistently, but the actual internet feed comes and goes, verified by a speed test. Very frustrating. I’ve called support multiple times and they say it’s a tower issue and that it’s bring worked on. Have heard them say this for the last year now. This is not a gateway hardware problem or software issue. It’s a tower feed problem. Time to switch to a cable feed I guess.

3 replies

We're having the same issues in New Mexico & have been for a year or more. It's random but happens every couple of days. Cable's not an option here. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Unlike your cellphone, traffic (from what ive heard/read) is deprioritized on the home internet.  This means that most traffic through to the aggregator and gateway can be bumped down over any and all other traffic   At times of the days, ive had service drop to 10-30Mbps, where my cell will have 150.  Other times, they’re similar

Same drop out issues in Charlotte, NC. Especially when it rains, or gets dark, or the wind blows, or if the sun comes up. My old DSL was more reliable and my iPhone makes a better 5G connection.