Question

iphone 14 text messages with attachments fail to send to non-iphone, non T-Mobile phones

• 31 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

I upgraded my perfectly functioning iphone 11 to the iphone 14 Pro.  In the beginning, any text message to non-iphone failed to send.  After many, many, many hours with Apple TS and T-Mobile TS, now I can send text messages that send to non iphone, non T-Mobile phones.  However, any text with any type of attachment (contacts, photos, article links) fail to send to non i-phone, non T-Mobile phones.  I have been back and forth between T-Mobile and Apple and both point the finger at each other.  The problem has not been solved by a new e-Sim card, repeated restarts, settings changes, network resets.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, were you able to solve it?  Apple and T-mobile TS obviously do not have a answer other than “Not our fault.”

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Are you using iMessages? If so try a different sms app to see if that’s the problem.

Badge

Any suggestions as to an sms app that functions between iphone and Android?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Try Google messaging or Textra.

Badge

Thank you.

Have you resolved this? We are having the issue. Would appreciate any info.

Badge

Hi Oceanview,

It turns out that the VPN I use on the iPhone was the culprit.  This was discovered when the T-Mobile sales rep and I were discussing potential workarounds (this was on the 3rd visit to the store after multiple marathon TS sessions by phone with both Apple and T-Mobile). When I turned off the VPN, all texts and attachments went through.  I still have occasional “fail to send” issues, but after working with the VPN provider (ExpressVPN), who updated their software to account for this issue, the problem was much improved.

Looking back, both Apple and T-Mobile tech support tried hard to solve the problem, but as neither even asked if I had a VPN installed, it was never considered in the problem solving sessions.  Since both companies have a checklist of things to ask/do, it would be useful for them to add “Do you use a VPN?” And “Which VPN?”

Good luck on solving your problem!

Regards,

Mobile-T