Question

location issue

• 6 February 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

My location on my android phone and chromebook are Minnesota. 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What location are you at?

I live in Phoenix area and some sites think that I'm in LA.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Anything against Minnesota, other than it being cold as all getout? It’s an artifact of the way that the Internet tries to locate devices by IP address. T-Mobile uses a single IP address for many devices, so when the Internet tries to guess your location, it guesses wrong. Some people would view this as a benefit. How would you expect Internet addresses for mobile devices to work?

Badge

I’m in Iowa. Problem is, my location is wrong on my chromebook too. For example if I want to find mexican restaurants, it will show ones in Minnesota

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

My Cox internet I use on wifi also shows me in LA.on my Surface.

It is incredibly annoying to go online to shop for something only to see adds from Minneapolis Mn. when I live almost 300 miles south in IL. Yes I know I can request items near my zip. I had to call my streaming service to tell them that I don’t care to see Mn. news and advertisements. Is there any way to fix it at my end?    

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I’m in Iowa. Problem is, my location is wrong on my chromebook too. For example if I want to find mexican restaurants, it will show ones in Minnesota

Then don’t use location when searching for things and just type in your zipcode instead.  It takes all of 3 seconds.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It is incredibly annoying to go online to shop for something only to see adds from Minneapolis Mn. when I live almost 300 miles south in IL. Yes I know I can request items near my zip. I had to call my streaming service to tell them that I don’t care to see Mn. news and advertisements. Is there any way to fix it at my end?    

is it only happening while connected to wifi or to mobile data?

“It’s an artifact of the way that the Internet tries to locate devices by IP address. T-Mobile uses a single IP address for many devices, so when the Internet tries to guess your location, it guesses wrong. Some people would view this as a benefit.

So how is this a benefit? Please explain.

Also, if “the Internet tries to guess your location, it guesses wrong”, then wouldn’t you want to fix this issue?