Question

lousy coverage in Idaho Falls

Badge

My phone is 4glte capable (Samsung G s5), but since retirement of 3g services my phone doesn’t work most of the time.  Coverage maps show perfectly pink sea of coverage for my area, but reality quite different.  Local T store reps just want to sell me a new phone, and lie lie lie.  Patronizing twits.  Can u help please . . . 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

for what its worth..once they do shut down 3G..unless your phone is VoLTE capable you’ll still get data but you wont be able to make any calls/receive calls or send/receive regular texts

with that said there has yet to be any announcements of them shutting it down just yet..was supposed to happen this month..are there any other TMO devices around you? and if so are they seeing the same thing or just your GS5?

Badge

My phone IS Volte capable.  I looked it’s ID number up to verify that.  I thought 3G was already shut down, so my mistake there.  Possibly the nearest tower just not working.  Is there a way to determine that . . .  The only time my phone functions is when I am away from my house, at least 3 houses away, or when it’s pulling from my wifi modem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

easiest way would be to check your signal once you leave that area by say 5+ miles..if it improves then its a tower deal..if the problem follows you past that 5+ mile marker or if others not on your account are seeing this as well then its pointing at network. 3 houses away shouldnt affect it unless you are at the fringe of reception and 3 houses down is in the direction of the tower you are connecting to.

Badge

Thanks for responding, but either way I’m screwed, sounds like.  It’s not like I’m going to sell my house to remain a loyal Pinkie.  And a costly new phone won’t help either, so.  This has been a problem for close to a year now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you can ask them for a booster but if the problem is mainly at your home location you can use wifi/wifi calling to regain signal back..or check with your neighbors to see whos using which carriers and how their signal holds up in the same areas..