Question

Message Blocking

• 8 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

I’m using a T-Mobile eSim on my iPhone with a pay-as-you-go plan. When I try to send a text message it fails and I get this response: 

Free Msg: Unable to send message - Message Blocking is active

I’ve looked this up on TMO support and followed this link to configure message blocking: 

http://t-mo.co/profileblocking

It lands on a “We can't find the page you're looking for.” page. 

How do I fix this? 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Is your prepaid plan active?  If it is.  Are you trying to message a short code? Short codes need to be enabled by calling Customer Care. 

Badge

Yeah, my plan is active. 

I’m not familiar with short codes. I’m just trying to send a text message to a co-worker. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I would give Support a call them to see if they can figure out the issue.  Before doing that though.  Have you tried powering off the device for a few minutes to allow it to drop from the network so it refreshes when you boot it back up+  5 minutes should be more than good for trying that but 3 should be the minimum. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

regular text or are you using imessage? and if its the later of the two do you have mobile data currently?

The following is for T-Mobile customers having an iPhone and not being able to send/receive text messages to/from android phones.

Let me preface this with these facts if the issue is with a T-Mobile iPhone:

• All text messages to/from iPhones (both T-Mobile and other providers) are sent/received using iMessage
  • All text messages to/from android phones (both T-Mobile and other providers) are sent/received by SMS/MMS
  • Your number is not being blocked on the other end (person you are attempting to text)

Provided that you have iMessages, SMS, and MMS messaging turned on  in "settings", this problem of not being able to send/receive text messages from non-iPhones and instead receiving the following message, "Free msg: Unable to send message, message blocking is active” is a T-Mobile App iPhone setting causing SMS and MMS texts to be blocked to/from android phones.

If this is the problem/solution, the T-Mobile app is most likely installed on your iPhone and you have not realized a setting in this app is causing the issue of not being able to send/receive text messages to a non-iPhone (android). In my case, I was the culprit that made this setting change.

First, you must click on (open) the T-Mobile app. After opening and logging onto the T-Mobile app, scroll down the tabs to the bottom of the page, locate and click on “More”.

Now, on the next screen, click on “Profile Settings, T-Mobile ID, Billing and Statements, Family Controls, Blocking, Multiple Devices and More”.  This selection will be at the very top of the page. On the next screen, scroll down the page to “Block calls and messages” and click on it to open. Next, you will see your cell phone number listed. Click on your cell phone number to navigate to the next screen. Here you will find the culprit! Click “Block Messages” to expand. In the next tree, be certain that both choices are turned off! Most likely you will see that this was turned on and as a result was blocking all texts to android phones. That is because you have/had iMessages, SMS and MMS messages turned on in the settings but you were blocking SMS and MMS messages if you had this feature turned on. I might add that even with “Block calls and messages” turned on, if a person having an android phone is in your contacts and you have not blocked the contact, you should have been able to make and receive calls/email, but no texts from the person. LOL, that is a result of the iPhone software. This is exactly what was happening to me. I was able to receive/make calls/emails from the contact but got the aforementioned message at every attempt to send a text message. With this "Block calls and Messages" turned off, it will now allow you to make and receive SMS and MMS text messages and calls to anyone having an android phone and not blocked in "settings". By software default, if you have iMessage enabled in “settings”, you will be able to send/receive text messages to any iPhone.

Therefore, with "Block calls and Messages" turned on, it will "block chargeable text (SMS) and/or picture messages (MMS)". These are non-iPhone (android) messages sent/received by SMS/MMS by default. Text messages to/from iPhones are sent/received by iMessages. Make certain your plan covers the use of SMS/MMS messaging as well as iMessaging if you plan to leave this feature turned on. This option is provided for customers that don't have a plan to cover the costs. However, most plans are unlimited and/ or include messaging bundling.

Please note: If you enable/select this service, you will no longer be able to send or receive text and picture messages, even if you have a messaging bundle. This service will block all text messages to android phones even if you have SMS and MMS turned on in the settings!

So, the problem and solution is a setting in the T-Mobile app. This solution solved my problem.

Badge

All of the blocking is set to off on both my devices and both my kids via the app and I have confirmed this with Tmobile and yet… this is still happening. 

I’m having the same issue and I’m actually only able to receive messages from 462(T-Mobile's number) but not any other  android or unknown numbers. Are you still having this issue or have you figured it out?