MMS fine; SMS stopped entirely [SOLVED]

• 19 January 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge

I already solved this problem; just writing it down because I couldn't find anyone else who had it.

I'm using T-Mobile (LTE, not 5G) in the US on a Fairphone 3, which is a European model of phone. (I'm not sure it's relevant; I'm including it because it might be.) At some point after I started using the service, I was entirely unable to send SMS messages, but could send MMS, so I could send group text messages and texts with attachments, just not one-on-one texts. (I could receive SMS messages just fine.) I worked around this problem by attaching an image that was a blank white rectangle, and explaining what I was doing, when not using alternate chat applications.

Then I poked through my settings for a bit and discovered that I had left VoLTE disabled (to fix a problem I can't remember the nature of anymore, except that I remember it working). I re-enabled it, and then the next time I tried to send an SMS message as a test, my messaging app (Signal) made a request to send the message, which I of course granted. It sent just fine after that.

I'm writing this down because a couple of searches I made while trying to troubleshoot the issue returned no useful results, and I want to keep that from happening to any other users if I can.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Sorry to hear you weren’t able to find the answer you were looking for, but we appreciate you posting what helped out. That’s what this community is for. Helping others find what they need. :relaxed: