Solved

My T-Mobile data isn’t working

Badge

I have an iPhone 12 pro max (it’s on the latest IOS version) that can make and receive calls and texts, but the cellular data won’t work at all for things like Safari, social media, or any other app that requires a connection. It’s been this way for two days now, and I have done everything I can possibly think of to try and fix it. I’ve turned airplane mode and cellular data on and off (and given them time to disconnect and reconnect the cellular data), I’ve restarted my phone multiple times (and given it time to reconnect to everything), reset the network settings, taken the SIM card out and then put it back in, and also left it alone last night to see if it would fix itself, but it still won’t work. I consistently have two bars of service, and had two bars of service regularly before it started doing this, as well, and it also says T-Mobile LTE in the top right hand corner like it normally does. If you don’t try to get on anything that requires data, the phone seems perfectly normal, but it started doing this out of nowhere. I’m on the same plan as my siblings and parents, and their phones are all working perfectly fine (and they are not connected to Wi-Fi). I am currently connected to our Wi-Fi, which is the reason I can type this out, but our Wi-Fi is not nearly as fast as my cellular data normally is, and it constantly kicks me off of things, which is why I’d like to get this fixed as soon as possible. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions other than a factory reset or going to a T-Mobile location in order to have it looked at. Thank you!

icon

Best answer by drnewcomb 20 July 2022, 20:20

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You need to install a TCO/IP PING diagnostic app and run a PING test to 8.8.8.8 to see if data is working at all. If not, you should check to make sure that data is both turned on in the phone and provisioned in the switch (your account settings). I’ve recently heard of another person whose account spontaneously lost provision for data and it was eventually tracked to a setting deep down in the account provisions. Something Tech Support had to find. Probably the hardest thing was getting past 1st level CSRs to get to Tech Support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

might have missed it in there but everyone elses phones on the same account are in the same area and working fine or theyre seeing it too?

Badge

They are on the same account, we live in the same house, and their phones are working perfectly fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

its phone related then..at least you eliminated it being a network issue. if any of your family members have an Apple phone as well toss their sim card into your phone..if it starts working then its your sim card..if its still having issues then its pointing more at the phone and not the network or sim card.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Can you briefly swap the SIMs between the phone in question and one of the other phones? If the problem moves with the SIM, it’s account related. If not, it’s something with the phone.

Userlevel 1

We are having same issues and can 💯 rule out equipment. After hours at both the Apple store and a local T-Mobile store, we were given a brand new phone and a brand new Sim card. Three different techs ran through all settings possible, ran diagnostics, tested the Sim in other devices, turned screen time settings on and off. None of the issues have been resolved. So even with fully new equipment my son cannot access apps and websites like Netflix YouTube Hulu Snapchat tick-tock… It absolutely Has to be a service issue. Two other family members are on the same plan have no issues. Someone Has to have answers for this! So frustrated.

Userlevel 1

Can you briefly swap the SIMs between the phone in question and one of the other phones? If the problem moves with the SIM, it’s account related. If not, it’s something with the phone.

We’ve done both. Fully new equipment and problem unchanged. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

side note…

actually i just remembered..but both the 12 and 13 were having issues with data after a recent update from Apple..cant remember which update it was though..

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

We’ve done both. Fully new equipment and problem unchanged. 

If the problem followed the SIM, the issue is in the account. I’ve heard of account configuration settings changing mysteriously. You may need to fight your way through Tier One to get to Tech Support.

Was this resolved because I’m going through the same thing 

Same issue with everything listed above - any resolutions?

I have iPhone 13 with all of the same issues. Data hasn’t worked since activation.

We had the same issue and figured it out. It was due to vpn we had active on the one device. T-Mobile appearantly doesn’t support VPN over data. Hopefully this helps someone else. 

I have the same issue. 

Someone on here saying we should download the ping app?

I  had the same issue for months until I found this thread. It’s all about the VPN. I followed the following article to delete/ turn off the vpn and its all working good now. 

https://www.technipages.com/turn-off-vpn-iphone#:~:text=Tap%20the%20VPN%20slider%20near,to%20the%20%E2%80%9COff%E2%80%9D%20position.

Thanks.