Question

not receiving texts sporadically

• 12 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

Recently ported my number over from Verizon, along with 6 other family members.

I have a note 20 ultra and am randomly not receiving texts.  Happens more in group texts, but some individual ones too.

I can't pin it to only iPhones, since I missed 2 android texts as well...but the majority are from what seems to be certain iPhone users.  Some will come thru from them, but the majority won't.

No one in my family is having issues.  2 of my brothers are in a group thread I'm in, one has an iPhone, the other a pixel and they are receiving everything.

I'm using Google messages, and tried Samsung messenger as well.  Issues both ways.

I've done every trick t-mobile has suggested.  Had their tech support walk me thru resetting the network on my phone, they also did it on their end.

They haven't said to do a factory reset...before I try that on my own, does anyone have an experience like this and a solution?   I hate factory resets so I wanted to try here first.

I have no issues sending texts, and everyone receives them fine.

Thanks in advance

3 replies

Badge

Hi, I had an experience similar to this with my S22 Ultra. I agree it appeared more iPhone related but not exclusively. I don’t do group texts, but I’m told that this is a headache for iPhone users generally to do so with Android users.

I don’t know what’s happening with T-Mobile. I wrote about my own experience here, and have since switched to Verizon. I genuinely thought they tried to scam me into the Magenta plan. But other reports like yours make it sound more systemic. It bothers me that service goes down like this for days and weeks, and unless you harp on customer service to fix it, they just let the issue languish. They also loved telling me how they’ve never seen this before.

I hope you got this issue resolved. I had been with T Mobile 8 years until then, but I found the whole experience utterly sketchy and crappy. I couldn’t abide remaining with the service.

This sucks how as tech upgrades, bumps and anomalies happen to us from time to time.  Started having similar issues with a tmobile locked samsung not sending through to certain iphones.  Sent from what I see, no error (though on occasion with poor signal would encounter).  Recipient screenshot shows none of my messages were received.  But I receive theirs with seemingly little effort.

I started with restart (rarely do, not a good habit tbh), no change. Coincidentally happened just before a mandatory software update reminder, so thought it could be that. Nope, still occurs.  Thought it was wi-fi or cellular-sig related...tried both, nope.

Skipped customer care.  Previous experiences not as helpful and not an option for most to factory reset when unbacked gigs of files exist on the device.  Need to try another method.

Started perusing faq and q&a posts online.  Read about certain setting adjustments.  Nope, either correctly set or no effect after (ex. Message app cache clearing).  

Read about message apps being perhaps out of sync or incompatible.  So I thought about trial installation of a trusted messaging app.  Went with Messenger SMS and installed as default off the google play store.

Despite the annoyance of occasional ads, texting functionality as of this date has been restored.  No missed texts to family and way less confusion.  I'll take the ads gladly over frustrated communication of everyday and important messages.

Perhaps some samsung factory message apps start to show incompatibility with message delivery to apple user devices over time.

Would try this method before switching carriers. Goes without mentioning that problem-free operation is not guaranteed and can still recur as technology shifts regardless of network or phones.

These experiences unfortunately have finally pushed me to start researching alternative carriers for more reliable outcomes.

Recently ported my number over from Verizon, along with 6 other family members.

I have a note 20 ultra and am randomly not receiving texts.  Happens more in group texts, but some individual ones too.

I can't pin it to only iPhones, since I missed 2 android texts as well...but the majority are from what seems to be certain iPhone users.  Some will come thru from them, but the majority won't.

No one in my family is having issues.  2 of my brothers are in a group thread I'm in, one has an iPhone, the other a pixel and they are receiving everything.

I'm using Google messages, and tried Samsung messenger as well.  Issues both ways.

I've done every trick t-mobile has suggested.  Had their tech support walk me thru resetting the network on my phone, they also did it on their end.

They haven't said to do a factory reset...before I try that on my own, does anyone have an experience like this and a solution?   I hate factory resets so I wanted to try here first.

I have no issues sending texts, and everyone receives them fine.

Thanks in advance

Hello. 

Did you ever get this resolved? I, too, have had this issue. I don’t know who or how many messages I have missed until someone calls or emails me to ask why I have not responded. I also contacted T-Mobile multiple times and have done all of their tech suggestions. 

Please let me know if there is a solution. 

Thanks.