Paying for 5g internet but really getting 4LTE

• 20 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

I recently signed up for the 5G home intetnet after calling and asking quesrions 1) are there sufficent towers in my area? A).yes, there are 4- 5 in your vacinity. 2) do you get good speed out here A) yes you can get grear speed, on average people get 32-116mbps down load but can get more. You can have up to 64 devices running on the tower. 3) have there been any outages A) after checking youe area, in the 24 months since rolling it out there have been no reported outages. Ok good!! I get the router and place it where the set up says was optimal to the tower and got a good signal but horrible down load speeds! I placed it all over the room it said was the best and it didnt get better. I changed the placement, turned it every which way, short of standing on my head... it didnt get probably more than 10mbps down on average one morning at 5 am i got 70mbps and was happy but it lasted maybe 1 hour! I placed it all over the house for various days. I bought a repeater it didnt work, returned it. I bought a netgear nighthawk mesh extender because it said it would help with speed along with signal..nope. well one app let me know i was getting 4G service....100% of the time! Well there we go folks i wasnt getting what i paid for and i spent time snd money trying to get what isnt available..i called and found out the engineers are working on upgrading the tower. Well why sell it as 5G if it isnt even available yet?? Talk about disappointing and  to pay for something you cant even get. So if you have problems this could be why!

5 replies

Yeah i was told that same thing 5 weeks ago and it still aint got better and am playing hell trying to get it returned and billing issues with it!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Ironically in Tmobile's terms and conditions data is data whether it be 2G or 5G and is priced the same. There is no guarantee of 5G speeds.

Is there an updated router that I can use to get better reception?

This is currently what I’m going through as well and just got the service yesterday!

Have had the same issue since May 1, 2023.  Thanks for just taking our money for subpar service T-Mobile!