Question

REMOTE WORK requirement Ethernet NOT "Wifi" connection?

• 30 October 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi

So I am getting into some remote work and they have said you need a “Wired” connection to the internet NOT “Wifi”.

So i have been perplexed by this  Do they mean a BROADBAND connection to the house?  OR  just an ethernet cable from the modem to the computer? 

It seems to be the latter, (i hope)

So I moved the can to my bedroom/office and took an ethernet cable.. (don’t know if it is cat 5 or 6 or even a 4??)  and plugged it in, hoping that fulfils the requirement for them.

Thoughts? Does anyone have more information on this? It has been vexing me for weeks as I really need this remote job  to make some moneyi n addtiion to my full time job.. Thanks

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi

So I am getting into some remote work and they have said you need a “Wired” connection to the internet NOT “Wifi”.

So i have been perplexed by this  Do they mean a BROADBAND connection to the house?  OR  just an ethernet cable from the modem to the computer? 

It seems to be the latter, (i hope)

So I moved the can to my bedroom/office and took an ethernet cable.. (don’t know if it is cat 5 or 6 or even a 4??)  and plugged it in, hoping that fulfils the requirement for them.

Thoughts? Does anyone have more information on this? It has been vexing me for weeks as I really need this remote job  to make some moneyi n addtiion to my full time job.. Thanks

Who said you need a wired connection? If it’s your employer, it’s best you ask them. Otherwise it makes no difference to TMO internet service whether you use wired or wifi.