Question

Some SMS messages not sending

• 14 October 2023
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I'm having an issue where SOME sms messages with URLs are not being delivered, and I'm wondering how widespread the issue is, so I'd love your help testing - just make sure you're using SMS and not iMessage / RCS. 

This issue is occuring within TMobile (from my Android to my wife's iPhone) as well as externally (from my Android to a Verizon iPhone and from my wife's iPhone to a Verizon Android) - iMessage and RCS are fine. I've reached out to T-Mobile tech support, and after a bunch of device specific troubleshooting didn't help (duh) it's been escalated. 

The following links did not go through: https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles/santa-cruz

https://www.kiaofeasthartford.com/inventory/new/kia/seltos

https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/Brandeis/ED/ASSTPROF

These links DID work:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/10/13/world/israel-news-gaza-hamas-war

https://www.espn.com/

17 replies

Yes this is happening in our household as well, and it’s happening both directions. I don’t get messages with hyperlinks from my family and they don’t receive mine. As you point out it seems to be primarily retail links, and my family members have iPhones while I have a Pixel. I hope your ticket results in a resolution, I’ll go ahead and open one also. 

I am also seeing the same issue. I have a pixel and my wife has a iPhone. (Both on same T-Mobile family plan).

I sent two links the other day and both were not delivered.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/classic-eggs-florentine-recipe-435281

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/285898/eggs-benedict-florentine/

I have RCS enabled but I am not sure how it affects the delivery of the messages with links.

When I tried again It the spruce eats link went through.

I hope this issue gets fixed soon.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Aww man, now I want some eggs. But the second one didn’t work for me either (the first one did).

I have RCS enabled but I am not sure how it affects the delivery of the messages with links.

That shouldn’t make a difference - iPhones can’t use RCS (😡) so Android<->iPhone messaging is handled through SMS, which is old, bad, and seems to be causing the problem.

I’m am having same issues… Does anyone have an update on this or any input from T-M Support??

My specific issue seems to be with links sent via SMS on the T-M network.  We are using Samsung androids, mostly between my wife and I, but also randomly to other phones on other networks as well.  Some get delivered and some don’t!?!  None working specifically between me and wife!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m am having same issues… Does anyone have an update on this or any input from T-M Support??

Sigh...no…a number of folks on Reddit have noted the same issue and nobody seems to have gotten any resolution on this. Still waiting to hear back on my ticket.

We are using Samsung androids, mostly between my wife and I, but also randomly to other phones on other networks as well.

I don’t have a Samsung, but is RCS not available on your devices (as it is on my Pixel)? If so, I think that isn’t affected, which might be make the problem a little smaller. Won’t fix Android<->iPhone texting though...

We use Textra App on our droids and RCS is not available on our phones, so unfortunately, that’s not an option for us?  Going to try Google Messages as Texting app now.?

Same result, sent wife link and she did not recv?

Also had a similar issue. Can not send links via SMS. RCS works and links are sent fine but SMS seems to block them when I send. It popped up recently for me as well since at least Oct 16 morning PST links were sending as normal via SMS but were no longer sending by Oct 18 morning PST.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I was having this issue too on Androids; it appears the issue has been fixed by TMO (at least in my case) - give it a try now.

Also having the problem. I'm using an S22 ultra and both my wife and bestfriend use iphones. One on the T-Mobile network and the other on Verizon. Neither of them have been able to get links I send them for the last two weeks.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Update - the issue seems to have been corrected for me (although I don’t have a great way of systematically testing “all links” but I never actually heard back from TMobile tech support, so I don’t know if it is a coincidence, or if someone fixed something on my account.

Had a similar issue with receiving texts with URLs/links in them recently too. I could not receive any texts with this link. I have a Pixel phone, sender has an iPhone

https://www.beverlyhills.org/departments/communityservices/beverlyhillsartshow/artshowinformation/

Same issue as all of you. Getting frustrated with the lack of solutions. 

Same problem here. It’s Zillow links that aren’t working for me. I can send but without any sort of error or notification, nobody can receive them.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Update again - not fixed. Bit dot ly links never seem to work, but the Bit dot ly homepage does...? Really getting frustrated by the poor support response on this issue which is clearly at least medium-sized. 

Badge

I recently switched my line from AT&T Prepaid to T-Mobile prepaid. I discovered today that for at least the past two weeks my phone has not been sending text messages, although they appear to have been sent successfully. I've also haven't been receiving all my calls and voicemails left for me. Upon contacting T-Mobile support via online chat, I was met with a refusal of the first representative to help resolve the issue and automatically assumed the problem was my device. He kept insisting that I go to a t-mobile store even though I let the rep know I just tried and failed to send a text from a different device using my SIM and it also showed as successfully sent but was never received by the other party. T-mobile also charged my card a day early from the date stated they would (stated Feb 20) and will not refund my money as I was going to switch back to my previous carrier today to avoid any more of these issues with t-mobile

I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile and I have an iPhone.  All of a sudden, some SMS texts would fail to send to an Android device.  Not all of them, but only to certain people, would fail every time.  It fixed the issue if I called the person and had them text me first.  But I tried literally everything short of wiping my iPhone and putting a fresh software load on it.  It seems that the one thing that actually worked was to “Turn Off iMessage.” Again, once that first SMS is successful to that person, it solves the issue, and I could re-enable iMessage, and everything would work as advertised.  This is a T-Mobile issue, I’m reasonably sure. My daughter experienced the same issue with the switch.  I have no idea if RCS has anything to do with it, but again, it wasn’t a problem when we were with Verizon, and Verizon supports RCS. Can’t say it’s specific to a make or model on the distant end?  I don’t know what phones people use other than they are Android devices.   Hopefully, when Apple finally brings RCS to the iPhone, this problem will go away.

WHY IS THIS STILL HAPPENING?! Why is there no support on this?? There are no solid answers anywhere… its all “it randomly fixed itself”. This is driving me absolutely mad! I thought it was an android to iphone issue but NO, my mom with a android (Samsung A71), and my aunt with an android ALSO aren’t getting my links. My daughter has an iphone and they aren’t sending for her either, neither to other iphones OR androids.

I have a galaxy s24 ultra… brand new, obviously, and this never happened before with my S20+ (but its not a phone issue apparently). I switched to Google messages for better RCS integration with iphone (I didn’t know that existed before) and I assumed it was a google messages thing but its most definitely not if NONE OF US can send links in messages to each other whether they are iphone users or android users, samsung messaging, imessage, etc. Its a carrier issue and it needs to be fixed FOR GOOD. 

My daughter is having a fundraiser and her and I are trying to text family and friends the link to her fundraiser page and none of them will go through, even with other text in the message 😡 

Another thing thats happened is just a regular text message I sent to my mom said it was sent and she never got it 🤦 so far that was an isolated incident… but what the heck is going on tmobile.