Solved

speed

• 17 August 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

I just got set up yesterday. Sometimes my speeds are 250-300, then suddenly it 60. I've tried resetting the router which works sometimes, but WTH? I'm trying to test this out in the month to see if it's worth it, or more false promises. Any advise?

icon

Best answer by BobT 17 August 2023, 16:42

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Review the Open Internet policies at:

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/internet-service

These legal disclosures are what were required by the FCC in the big brouhaha over network neutrality a few years back. Careful what you ask for with government agencies. As noted there, “ T-Mobile Home Internet (available in select locations) customers receive the same network prioritization as Heavy Data Users...”

As a result you’ll be more impacted during congested periods than those who have greater priority.

I’d personally take that 60 mbps any day over my pitiful 12 mbps (frequently much less) using my phone’s hotspot but alas TMHI isn’t yet available in my area. Sure wish we could get a good signal more than ½ mile of the interstate - I suppose I could by some property in the median of I-95.

Regularly run some speed tests throughout the day and a pattern may emerge that you can use to predict lightly used time periods to your advantage is you really need the 250-300 mbps speeds. Most activities don’t really require or use that much bandwidth other than large file or game downloads (or multiple users).

Give me a consistent, reliable, 24-7 25 mbps 24-7 at I reasonable price and I’m good.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Check to see your network stats on the TMHI app.

Its possibly that your device is going from N41 5G to N71

I may often have n41 and speeds will be ~400Mbps.   Then, during other times, I’ll end up on N71, and speeds will be ~170Mbps (a bit worse today, possibly with schools back in session).

If your area is ‘worse’ for signal/coverage, then it will worse overall.

Ironically, being wireless, much of this is more due to signal and overall capacity (NATGW?).  Capping you at 25Mbps, would probably end up with performance that feels like 3G at best.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Capping you at 25Mbps, would probably end up with performance that feels like 3G at best.

The key word there was consistent (not capped) and for my needs. As noted I max out at 12 mbps unless I’m parked at the rest area on I-95. For that reason TMHI isn’t available at my residence. You’d  never find me dissatisfied with 60 mpbs or 170 mbps or 400 mbps. But it’s my choice to live where I do rather than the median of I-95 and even a consistent 12 mbps would meet my needs as I defer downloads until at the rest stop so to speak. Actually T-Mobile is a better alternative than the pain I had with Viasat and Starlink ain’t here yet. 😶

I called T yesterday as I am in the trial period. There is this big fluctuation in speed from day to day. The rep told me there is some tower work in progress till 10 Aug thru 20 Aug 2023 and is impacting users. We are inside the I95 loop near Boston. Not sure if others are hearing the same story. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Capping you at 25Mbps, would probably end up with performance that feels like 3G at best.

The key word there was consistent (not capped) and for my needs. As noted I max out at 12 mbps unless I’m parked at the rest area on I-95. For that reason TMHI isn’t available at my residence. You’d  never find me dissatisfied with 60 mpbs or 170 mbps or 400 mbps. But it’s my choice to live where I do rather than the median of I-95 and even a consistent 12 mbps would meet my needs as I defer downloads until at the rest stop so to speak. Actually T-Mobile is a better alternative than the pain I had with Viasat and Starlink ain’t here yet. 😶

I had ‘good’ 3Mbps adsl 15 years ago. It could even handle Sypke at the time.  The hardest part with TMobile Home Internet is often consistency.  With low priority QoS, service can … lag at times.  Ive been fortunate in my location, that service is under utilized.  Latency is <50ms to most sites and is consistent.   When they spike, thats when you feel it.

Today we are getting great speeds. More than 200 Mbps sometimes. The 5G is connected vs the LTE earlier. Hope it stays that way. Love it so far. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

If anything adjustments to signal on your device can be a BIG difference.   Opening of the window gained me 150Mbps on download and 25Mbps on upload.  Service shows ‘good’ when the window is closed, and ‘very good’ when open.  Big change in RSRQ and SINR