Solved

Sudden degradation of TMhome internet despite "good" numbers

• 6 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

15 month on  T-M home internet with great service.  Now for the past couple days, it’s gone totally glacial. It takes forever to load a new website and download/upload speeds are dreadful.

I have the Nokia trashcan gateway and am in an urban area.

• 3 bars = good
  • RSRQ -11
  • RSRP -87
  • SINR 28
  • Band n41

Speedtest:

• DL 150-300  (used to be 500+)
  • UL 1.27 (!!!)   used to be 10-20
  • ping 580ms   used to be around 40

On my T-Mobile iPhone 13 pro on cellular (5gUC), I get

• 709 DL and 10.5 UP
  • Ping 106  (used to be much faster)

This all sounds like depriorization.  

What else can I do?

icon

Best answer by formercanuck 6 October 2023, 20:37

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

With those readings, either something wrong with your modem, or as you stated deprioritization. Since its only affecting your modem/THMI thats all i can suspect.   300Mbps isn’t all bad, but you can try exchanging your modem

Userlevel 1
Badge

I wound up shutting down the Nokia trashcan and my Netgear mesh router for 15 min. Previously I had just powered off and right back on with no success.

But with leaving them off for 15 min, that seems to have restored my service to its previous level:  ping 28ms, 303 down and 15 up, which I am happy about on a Saturday nite with other users streaming TV.

I wonder if it was some kind of heat fault that a 15 min cool-down fixed. According to my TMHI smartphone app, I am connected to the same tower with about the same stats as in my original message.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ive read about the trashcan model overheating.   I have the Arcadyan device,  and haven't run into that problem