Solved

tmobile gateway router

• 16 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

How has people's experience been with the 5g gateway router performance? I have the device hooked up to a 4x4 MIMO and get "very good" signal from the tower. But network devices are having a hard time connecting to the gateway. I have it in the basement of a 1 story house. Never had issues with the router in the basement before. At times i lose internet then a few minutes later i measure speeds up to 200mps. When i lose connection my phone still works fine. Any advice?

icon

Best answer by sk8r 17 March 2024, 21:54

View original

5 replies

I didn't have that issue before I moved. When it said "Very Good" it was reliable and the connection was flawless, made me wonder how "Excellent" would be. Since I've moved, to a more underdeveloped area of Austin, it's been stuck at just "Good" and it's incredibly annoying. Feels like I'm using a Nokia phone sometimes. I get it, there's probably no towers here, but the massive jump on connection speeds is depressing at times

Badge

A Reddit thread indicates that WOA3 security might be a problem. Its unstable apparently. I set the router to use WPA2 and reconnected the device so we shall see. On my phone i first had to forget the network because of the security change, but the Roku handled it ok.

Please update with how it works out for you! 

Badge

Forget about the internal router, it’s garbage.  I have a decent seperate tplink router and it smokes what the gateway can do.  Worth noting that you should also move the gateway all over the house in order to find the “sweet spot”.  I had it in front of a window aimed in the direction of the tower and got decent (200+ down, 15 up) speeds with ho hum pings (40 to 50).  Moved it to another bedroom, aiming it slightly away from where the app directed me and through a wall.  Download speeds tripled, uploads quadrupled and my ping is below 30 consistently.   Was thinking about buying an external antenna.  Why bother?

Badge

Well changing the WPA protocol made it more stable but it's not the greatest. I have a router - i should be able to connect it to the gateway with cat5, give it a network name different than tmobile and be good, right? Or did you configure it some other way?

We have a one story house with one window that vaguely points at the tower but it's difficult to get the gateway *in* the window since the window sill is about 1" wide. So i put a 4x4 mimo up on the roof with cables fed to basement. It's a lot of cable (losses) but i have a steady "very good" 3 bars signal. T-Mobile speeds have always sucked so 200/50ish is good for our needs and as long as it stays steady i don't care. It's the router that was driving me nuts so thank you for the idea