Question

TMobile please, Automatic cellular network selection is destroying your reputation. (Dropped service and swirched wifi preffered.)

• 5 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge
  • First activity
  • 2 replies

Team T-Mobile, You need to pay attention to this thread. 

I think maybe AT&T is messing around with your customers. It may be unintentional,  I don't know.  When I'm driving, I switch to the AT&T network when your signal goes low, and I get virtually no data from them.  If I hard code my network to stay on you, then I have virtually no drops on my commute.

Now Now catch this, if I do the same thing when I'm at home, my cellular calling preference does not change from Wi-Fi preferred repeatedly. II I leave my cellular network selection on automatic, then AT&T network is selected, And my cellular calling preference continues to switch to cellular preferred.

Can others confirm this, go in and change your network selection to be T-Mobile only and see if your Wi-Fi calling preference stops switching to cellular preferred.. This may be a bug in android's cellular network selection, or it could be another provider messing with T-Mobile settings.

I'm finding that after updates I no longer can drive my commute without interrupted streaming. Now I'm also dealing with my cellular preference switching off of Wi-Fi and on to cellular. I have the Samsung S21.

This is either a huge bug in Android’s cellular network selection or Tmobile/AT&T are feuding.

T-Mobile, I beg of you, lobby Google/Samsung to have Android have a preferred network setting under cellular selection and stop nagging if I turn off automatic selection.

This is ruining your customers eexperienc, you might need to go public on this or to court.You must have diagnosed this yourselves by now, Educate your customers.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

AT&T roaming in general - aka ‘Domestic Roaming’ on AT&T and some other carriers can be pretty poor.

In Northern Maine, ‘AT&T’ was the preferred roamer, while USCC existed.

AT&T roaming was effectively 2G speed, and USCC was decent 3G speed.

I’m not even lucky enough to have roaming in my area - I only get SoS on AT&T or Verizon.

Badge

AT&T roaming in general - aka ‘Domestic Roaming’ on AT&T and some other carriers can be pretty poor.

Thank you so much for the reply. I used to be an AT&T customer and this is on a major Interstate area with good coverage for both AT&T and T-Mobile. Additionally, this is an issue with Android auto carrier select and or another correctable issue. If I hard code my network to T-Mobile my coverage is nearly 100% along the entire route with only two 5-15 second drops.

If I leave my network automatic, I get pulled to AT&T even in areas with good T-Mobile 5G coverage. Either the algorithm is broken or something else is going on.

This issue is combine with the issue that my Prefer Wifi for Cellular continually switches back to Cellular Preferred. A well documented bug and discussed on other threads for over a year. If I hard code my network to T-Mobile and deal with the constant annoying pop up messages about lost carrier, even though I’m on wifi. This bug stops happening, my Wifi calling stays on Wifi preferred.

This leads me to suggest either Samsung/Google Android have a major bug in their automatic cellular network selections/data roaming module or AT&T is messing with T-Mobile customers when they roam to their network, both in terms of data availability and changing the Wifi preferred setting.

Bottom line: T-Mobile needs to push hardcore on all companies involved to isolate the issue because it affects their customers service significantly and they haven’t even acknowledged the issue as far as I can tell. Only reason I’m still with them is that, I still owe on these very expensive miniature hand held computers.

I am having this exact issue at home.  Att is a bit stronger and if everything is left on it prefers att.  If I turn off roaming it still prefers att but now with no data. If I turn off auto select it works but yeah I'm getting that pop-up constantly about no signal and switching to auto.   S22 ultra.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Theres a couple of ways to do this on TMobile  Android (esp Samsung) devices.

Simplest is to force 5g only (you wont roam, but may get dropouts.

2nd is to go into Samsung diagnostics, and ‘disable all’, then enable LTE B71, LTE B41and all 5g.

Without other bands on lte, you won't roam on At&t or Verizon.   Samsung isnvery quick to drop to SoS At&t/Verizon in rural areas.  Moto edge 2022 5g, will hang on to ‘No Service ‘ for a while before switching.