Solved

Unlock after trade in

• 28 March 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

So I traded in a note 20 ultra for an S23 ultra, with a balance of 100 dollars left over to pay. They gave me a 50 dollar credit to my bill and then put the remaining balance as credit for 24 months. I asked whether I could unlock my phone once I pay off the  100 dollars I owe on the phone, as I would be out of the country for a year. I’ve been with T-Mobile for over four years now, and I have 3 other lines with them. I do not intend to switch phone companies but if push comes to shove I may. My problem is that T-Mobile is telling me that my service won’t be available after 3 months out of country due to being labeled as an extreme roamer. My phone will only be able to be used with Wi-Fi essentially being nothing more than a brick. I have elderly people I need to call who are also on my plan. How can I use my phone overseas if T-Mobile cuts my service after three months, or rather refuses to unlock my phone so I can use a SIM card while in another country. I’m not even trying to pull some weird nonsense as I will still be paying for my line, which btw USED TO BE INCLUDED in my plan. I need my lines, but T-Mobile is refusing to budge in any way. They won’t let me use my phone overseas, and they won’t unlock. I may have to switch carriers which I really DONT WANT TO, but T-Mobile isn’t giving me any other choice. 

icon

Best answer by syaoran 28 March 2023, 16:12

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

In the terms and conditions there's a clause stating that Tmobile isn't available for long term international roaming. 90 days sounds about right.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Unfortunately, T-Mobile is now a lot more strict with the SIM unlocking of devices.  All requirements must be met before your device is eligible for a SIM unlock.  

SIM Unlock Policy | Unlock Your Mobile Wireless Device (t-mobile.com)

With roaming over 3 months.  It can be very hit and miss.  I have roamed for 6 months straight before and never got a single text about extended  roaming.  While roaming though, I use WiFi when ever possible, including WiFi Calling.  

Badge

Do you think if I do not use my phone very often and use a program like Skype or discord that their service would go on to extend towards six months? Like I would only be using phone in emergency cases to call my parents; they are in their seventies. … maybe I will call them and ask what the fulfillment requirements are?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Those still use data.  WiFi Calling is the best way to ensure you don't get flagged for roaming too long.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

50% of your usage needs to ge on Tmobile towers.