used to be just weekends

• 7 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Barely usable 

formercanuck 8 months ago

That depends on your device.  If you have an Android, chances are good that you might be able to.

In the past, I’ve ended up with ‘weak’ 5G + strong LTE (5G NSA) and the result was speeds approaching what you’re showing.

On most devices (iPhone included) you can at least test if 5G signal is the culprit by disabling 5G (allowing 4G LTE only).

On Samsung / Motorola, you have fine grained selections allowing you to pick and choose which type (2G → 5G) as well as which bands, and even 5G type (SA- Standalone, or NSA Non-standalone).

While this isn’t ideal, having 5 bands of LTE + 3 bands of 5G … they don’t always work well together, especially if only ‘some’ towers have 5G bands.

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

we talking phone speeds? home net? does the problem happen to only show up at one location? everywhere you go (more than 5 miles in any direction)? are there other TMO devices around you? do they see the same thing or no?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Doesn’t show what kind of signal you’re getting either…. 4G LTE, 5G, 5G UC, … WiFi ?

Badge +1

It's 5G internet. It's to the point that it's unusable during daylight hours.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Without the ‘5GUC ‘ label shown (assuming tmobile branded), you're most likely using 5g n71 (low band), which doesn’t have a ton of capacity.   Eg.  N71 15x15, 60Mbps, n25 20x20, 120Mbps, n41 100+40 +700Mbps.

Similarly b2 lte 15x15 60Mbps.

Also, with carrier aggregation,  you should be able to aggregate n71 + b2

Typically the 5g logo shows on n71, n25 and ..  lte b2

Badge +1

Good info. But I get what they give me. I don't believe I have any way of changing anything. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That depends on your device.  If you have an Android, chances are good that you might be able to.

In the past, I’ve ended up with ‘weak’ 5G + strong LTE (5G NSA) and the result was speeds approaching what you’re showing.

On most devices (iPhone included) you can at least test if 5G signal is the culprit by disabling 5G (allowing 4G LTE only).

On Samsung / Motorola, you have fine grained selections allowing you to pick and choose which type (2G → 5G) as well as which bands, and even 5G type (SA- Standalone, or NSA Non-standalone).

While this isn’t ideal, having 5 bands of LTE + 3 bands of 5G … they don’t always work well together, especially if only ‘some’ towers have 5G bands.