Solved

Will my Xiaomi phone work with the T-mobile network ?

• 24 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hello

I am preparing for a 6 month internship in San Diego for next year. I am trying to find a phone plan for my Xiaomi Note 11 (IMEI 869264060207760). From my research, it looks like it doesn't work on Verizon and AT&T networks, but should work on T-mobile's. 

The $40 prepaid plan with a physical SIM for $10 seems like a good match for me, the only thing that makes me doubt it is the byod checker on tmobile's website that tells me my phone is partially compatible with the network.
Will I be able to use 4G in San Diego with this phone?

icon

Best answer by syaoran 24 December 2022, 19:13

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It might but more than likely won't.  It needs to support T-Mobile's implementation of VoLTE, which most Asian focused devices do not. 

When looking up supported bands for the device.  It only supports band 4.  Most cellular networks use a combination of bands for service and coverage.  Band 4 might or might not be deployed where you might be.

https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_11-11336.php

Badge

I checked on my phone and it seems to support VoLTE because I can select LTE for the prefered network setting. I don’t know about Tmobile’s VoLTE though.
Band 4 seems to be deployed in the San Diego area 

Am I missing something ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Put a T-Mobile SIM in the device, reboot it, and see if you can enable VoLTE.  That doesn't look like great coverage based on band 4.  How up to date is that map also?  Most.of what T-Mobile uses currently for LTE are bands: 12, 66 (extension of band 4), and 71.

Badge

I don’t have access to a Tmobile SIM currently, I am not even in the USA.
I think I will just test that out when I get there, and have a second plan I case it doesn’t work
Thank you for your answers :) 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I don’t have access to a Tmobile SIM currently, I am not even in the USA.
I think I will just test that out when I get there, and have a second plan I case it doesn’t work
Thank you for your answers :) 

One Plus seems to work pretty well on TMobile if you want to go that route

Hello to the T-mobile respectable employees. my phone is also Xiaomi, note 9s but the T mobile sim card is really not suitable with my phone in many areas and doesn't have a good signal. I am currently living in this address: 3381 S Duncan st, Indiana, USA.

My phone number is 8129742891, I hope you can solve this problem soon.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hello to the T-mobile respectable employees. my phone is also Xiaomi, note 9s but the T mobile sim card is really not suitable with my phone in many areas and doesn't have a good signal. I am currently living in this address: 3381 S Duncan st, Indiana, USA.

My phone number is 8129742891, I hope you can solve this problem soon.

Thanks

The issue is your Xiaomi device.  Asian market devices are barely compatible with US networks under the best circumstances.