Question

5G Gateway Setup with Smart TV

Badge

In setting up my new Nokia 5G Gateway, other devices (PC, printer, etc) work but my Samsung smart TV shows to connect to the internet but is not responding. Any ideas?

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi Jlajr, Setting up any new equipment is always the worst! I just want to buy things and then play with them. I am glad to hear that most of the setup has gone well. There are a few variables that could be causing issues with the TV connection. I did a quick search on the Samsung site about their TVs and there are many models that are not compatible with 5Ghz. I am not sure what model TV you have, but that means that your best bet is to split the networks on our gateway so the TV can see the 2.4 Ghz separately and connect. 

I love this simulator because you can see the steps in the app to make those changes. When you get to the “Manage networks” screen, you can select to add a network with the plus sign. Then set it up to be the 2.4Ghz and make sure it has a unique network name. Once you finish those steps, you should be able to see the new network name on your TV and connect. :) 

How to change network frequency bands | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support 

Hope this helps!

I have had this same problem with my Samsung Smart TV and have split the network to have a separate 2.4Ghz connection but still am not able to connect through T-mobile.  I am able to connect to TV through another network that used a 2.4Ghz connection and was able to connect fine.  Any other ideas for the connection issue?  Samsung support says it is the T-mobile network’s issue as TV connects fine through another network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I have had this same problem with my Samsung Smart TV and have split the network to have a separate 2.4Ghz connection but still am not able to connect through T-mobile.  I am able to connect to TV through another network that used a 2.4Ghz connection and was able to connect fine.  Any other ideas for the connection issue?  Samsung support says it is the T-mobile network’s issue as TV connects fine through another network.

In order to provide mor suggestions, I need to know a little more. At what point is the issue happening? Does the TV not see the network at all, it sees the network but says the password is not right, it connects but doesn’t have access to any data?

I am new to T-Mobile, in the network settings of the Samsung Smart TV (model #UN40N5200AFXZA), I am able to see both the 5G and 2.4G wireless networks.  I select the network and put in my password. It attempts to connect but then I receive the message “Wireless network connection failed.  Automatic IP setup failed.  Try the following to set up an IP address automatically.  Or, set up an IP address manually by selecting IP Settings.  -Make sure the DHCP server is enabled at your wireless router and turn it off and on.  - Contact your internet service provider for more information.”  It shows a picture of a TV, a red “X”, a router with my network name showing full signal strength, a red “X”, a world globe.  It does the same thing with both the 5G and 2.4G networks.  I was able to connect to a 2.4G mobile hot spot from my phone and it set up just fine.  Spoke to T-Mobile tech and they transferred me to Samsung (who had me try the mobile hot spot) and since I was able to connect, they say it is T-mobile issue. 

Badge

I am new to T-Mobile, in the network settings of the Samsung Smart TV (model #UN40N5200AFXZA), I am able to see both the 5G and 2.4G wireless networks.  I select the network and put in my password. It attempts to connect but then I receive the message “Wireless network connection failed.  Automatic IP setup failed.  Try the following to set up an IP address automatically.  Or, set up an IP address manually by selecting IP Settings.  -Make sure the DHCP server is enabled at your wireless router and turn it off and on.  - Contact your internet service provider for more information.”  It shows a picture of a TV, a red “X”, a router with my network name showing full signal strength, a red “X”, a world globe.  It does the same thing with both the 5G and 2.4G networks.  I was able to connect to a 2.4G mobile hot spot from my phone and it set up just fine.  Spoke to T-Mobile tech and they transferred me to Samsung (who had me try the mobile hot spot) and since I was able to connect, they say it is T-mobile issue. 

Were you ever able to find a way to fix this issue? I’m having the same exact problem. It connected before, after a bit it gets disconnected and won’t reconnect

I’m having the same exact issue.. this is the first thread i’ve seen where someone accurately captures my same problem and of course it’s not resolved.  I’ll take that as a sign that TMO 5g isn’t for me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I’m having the same exact issue.. this is the first thread i’ve seen where someone accurately captures my same problem and of course it’s not resolved.  I’ll take that as a sign that TMO 5g isn’t for me.

Not sure if this will help, but in other community threads, lowering the encryption level of the 2.4GHz WiFii band to WPA2 helps other problem devices to connect to the gateway.

Not sure if this will help, but in other community threads, lowering the encryption level of the 2.4GHz WiFii band to WPA2 helps other problem devices to connect to the gateway.

Thanks for the reply.  I tried all possible combinations of encryption levels for both 2.4GHz and 5g, all of them produce the same error that 1kma5243 described.  My Arris Surfboard router allows my Cox internet to connect to the same TV with 5g or 2.4ghz without any issues.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thanks for the reply.  I tried all possible combinations of encryption levels for both 2.4GHz and 5g, all of them produce the same error that 1kma5243 described.  My Arris Surfboard router allows my Cox internet to connect to the same TV with 5g or 2.4ghz without any issues.  

There is perhaps one other thing you could try.

If you have the Nokia gateway, you could try lowering the transmission protocol from ac/ax to b/g/n on the 2.4Ghz WiFi band.  I had to do this for an older device that would not connect using the newer ac or ax transmissions.

Shoot.. i don’t think i have the Nokia Gateway.   There’s no option to adjust the transmission protocol in the app or on the actual gateway.   I only have the ability to change the frequency band, WPA version and WPA encryption mode to which i’ve tried every combination of settings.  I have the “SAG FAST5688W 5G Gateway”

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Shoot.. i don’t think i have the Nokia Gateway.   There’s no option to adjust the transmission protocol in the app or on the actual gateway.   I only have the ability to change the frequency band, WPA version and WPA encryption mode to which i’ve tried every combination of settings.  I have the “SAG FAST5688W 5G Gateway”

Yea, so sorry.  There is a backdoor work-a-round for the Arcadyan gateway, but do not know of any methods for your Sagemcom gateway.

I’m having the same issue. Tried restarting, separating 2.4 and 5, and changing the DNS from auto to manual and using 8.8.8.8 like another post suggested and it got me a little further along but still unable to get all info. Prior to DNS change all fields were 0’s. All other devices and Xbox are working without issues. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I’m having the same issue. Tried restarting, separating 2.4 and 5, and changing the DNS from auto to manual and using 8.8.8.8 like another post suggested and it got me a little further along but still unable to get all info. Prior to DNS change all fields were 0’s. All other devices and Xbox are working without issues. 

Going by that pic, it appears you are trying to connect to some other router (4sal2 ?), not the T-Mobile gateway.  I believe the T-Mobile gateways have a 192.168.12.1 IP address.

It’s the same, just renamed the network 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

It’s the same, just renamed the network 

What’s throwing me off then, is your reported 169.254.241.221 IP address.  As far as I know, any connected device to the T-Mobile gateway should have an IP address of 192.168.12.xxx.

Do you have a router / extender connected to the T-Mobile gateway, that you are trying to connect to?

Exact same issue with my Samsung Smart Tv. Tried to setup 5G Gateway yesterday. Got the message that connection failed. Manual setup does not work either. Is the only solution getting a different brand of tv? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@KHNC -- is your TV in a good location relative to the gateway?  Use the Speedtest app on your phone and hold it near the back of the TV to check your Wi-Fi signal there.  If the download speed isn’t good, you will have to move the gateway and/or the TV.

If the Wi-Fi seems good, please try this:

Some devices cannot see or connect to the gateway’s default network.  You want to leave this network alone and ADD a second network with the + sign at the bottom of the Network tab in the T-Mobile Internet app.  For this new network, set the band to 2.4 GHz and set the WPA version to WPA/WPA2.  Try connecting your TV to this second network.  Use the default network for your other devices, as much as possible.

Here are the T-Mobile support instructions for how to add the second network with the app.

Android  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | Android | T-Mobile Support

iOS  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

And if you still can’t connect, you don’t have to buy another TV.  Get a separate streaming device such as an Amazon Fire TV Stick or a Roku Stick or Express 4K+.  Most people have no trouble getting them to connect to the gateway’s default network.  If your Wi-Fi isn’t strong near the TV, I recommend the Roku Express 4K+ because it has a longer HDMI cable so you can move it away from the back of the TV.