Question

5G wireless router connect to wired DVR

• 30 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

Have an old Nightowl home security camera system.  Too old to Spiderman through my attic and no newer DVRs will work with existing cameras.  My DVR needs an ether connection to the internet.  Regrettably the wireless router receives no reception where the Nightowl DVR resides and its too much to move the DVR due to wires.

Can I connect a wireless router or modem via wired connection to the DVR, then connect that to the wifi?  If so, which one?  router or modem?

Thanks folks.  Nightowl just wants to buy new stuff.

Best regards.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you cant run an Ethernet cable easily between the two the best option might be….

TP-Link - Powerline AV600 Nano Adapter Starter Kit (This is an Ethernet over power adapter.)

If you need Gigabit Ethernet TP also offers that too. It might be worth trying. If you can return it if it does not work then nothing lost to try it as a solution.

Another option to consider would be if you can use a wireless extender with an ethernet port on it to have a wireless bridge to the gateway from the extender and have the Ethernet connection from the DVR to the extender. I am not a fan of wireless extenders I am just pointing out some possible options. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/434/

This link takes you to the TP-Link FAQ page. Nothing lost to investigate it.

Badge

Thanks!  I will try those.  Guess the wifi modem or router plugged into the DVR is a no-go.  I never heard of a TP link but will check it out.  All the best,

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You might be able to use a wireless extender with an ethernet port on it to make the communication between the T-Mobile GW and the DVR. I never had much success with the wireless extender solution. There are a number of different wireless extenders but results may vary for getting that to work. It would depend upon the distance the wireless extender is from the gateway and how well the wireless signal gets through to the gateway. When a wireless extender does make the wireless bridge to the router the bandwidth is cut pretty much in half. So, if the distance between the extender and the router is too far apart the functional bandwidth can be poor. It is the same for a wireless device reaching the router or access point. As the client is farther away from the source the speed/bandwidth is reduced. If there are obstructions between the two radios then the communication can also be impaired. 

In my opinion, a wired connection is more reliable than a wireless one. But wireless is convenient. It is a trade off. 

Badge

Hey Tinkerman!

It worked!  I can’t thank you enough for the lead on this device!  It works and none of those dagum folks at Nightowl suggested it.  Of course they wanted a sale, and for me to Spiderman in the attic!

Again, my sincerest appreciation.

All the best,

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I am happy to hear you have the solution working and don’t have to Spider-Man in the attic. Thank you for letting me know.