Are we getting a bridge mode?

• 2 September 2022
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

T-Mobile is now offering Google Nest WiFi to home internet customers. It's the router and you can order up to 3 of the @ $54 each. That’s a good price BUT they are WiFi 5 (AC2200) They  have only 2 bands so it shares the band with. Anyway on google site it says not to have another router upstream. I am sure T-Mobile tested them before they made a deal with google. So I am hoping T-Mobile is going to do a firmware update and give us all a Bridge or Pass Thought for are gateways.

T+Mobile 

https://promotions.t-mobile.com/google?icid=HEIS_ISW_U_HMEINTRNET_WD9N6XMBFO1ESBAW531263

Google Nest WiFi

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7215624?hl=en#zippy=%2Cinclude-a-third-party-router-upstream-of-the-primary-wifi-point-not-recommended

12 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

That is definitely a good deal compared to what they sell for elsewhere, including sale prices.  I have eero 6+, though, and would not continue with T-Mobile if the eero stopped working with it.  All I had to do, too, what connect it to the T-Mobile gateway and it worked.  No need to create a bridge.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I have eero 6+, though, and would not continue with T-Mobile if the eero stopped working with it.  All I had to do, too, what connect it to the T-Mobile gateway and it worked.  No need to create a bridge.

One of the  router I tried was the  eero Pro 6, it keep losing WiFi and web errors. Had tried it  in router  and bridge mode. return it and and now using a Asus router working great no more problems. If T-Mobile would give us a bridge mode than VPN would work with out limitations, plus so much more.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I have eero 6+, though, and would not continue with T-Mobile if the eero stopped working with it.  All I had to do, too, what connect it to the T-Mobile gateway and it worked.  No need to create a bridge.

One of the  router I tried was the  eero Pro 6, it keep losing WiFi and web errors. Had tried it  in router  and bridge mode. return it and and now using a Asus router working great no more problems. If T-Mobile would give us a bridge mode than VPN would work with out limitations, plus so much more.

That's interesting. The eero Pro 6 is much more expensive than the 6+. Glad I couldn't afford it. 🙂

I plan to load balance between TMHI and my DSL connection and need to be able to use my own router to do the load blanching. Bridge mode is required to do that so I hope it happens soon.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I plan to load balance between TMHI and my DSL connection and need to be able to use my own router to do the load blanching. Bridge mode is required to do that so I hope it happens soon.

You might be able to do that with out the Bridge mode, I am also using my own router with no problems. I have the Nokia gateway and have turn off the radios, I am going a IP address to my router from the gateway 192.168.12.175 but everything is working like it should. At-lease as far as I can tell.

Would not count on any sort of “bridge’ mode..
The Google Nest Wifi routers are sold to customer with the intention to be used with the “Mesh” setup available on the T-mobile Home Gateway.

There will be no ‘bridge’ mode, instead the nest units will act as access points.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The Google Nest Wifi routers are sold to customer with the intention to be used with the “Mesh” setup available on the T-mobile Home Gateway.

There will be no ‘bridge’ mode, instead the nest units will act as access points.

Are you saying that the google nest will hook up to the mesh on my Nokia Gateway? Have you tried it and it works?

Are you saying that the google nest will hook up to the mesh on my Nokia Gateway? Have you tried it and it works?

That’s exactly what I’m saying.. 

Read the promotional page.. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

That’s exactly what I’m saying.. 

Read the promotional page.. 

I have read it and it states, you need two or more to make a mesh. If it would work work with the gateway you would only need one. Read it again. 

Almost 100% of all other ISPs provide bridge mode on their routers.  I’ll purchase T-Mobile home internet as soon as this becomes available. No acceptable reason not to allow.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

First, TMO 5G gateway doesn’t offer the bridge mode, i.e., it can’t be configured as a pure modem.

Second. Before you get Nest, you should try to see if TMO 5G gateway is able to cover all the areas you want to cover. I find that the TMO 5G gateway has a very capable WIFI. The laptop I am typing on now, is 50 ft away from the gateway with 2 interior walls in between. I am getting 4 out of 5 bars on 5GHz link with no appreciatable degradation in speed; or at least the my speed bottleneck is WAN, not LAN.  This is far superior to my Asus AC1800 router’s WIFI, which only offers vapor of signal at the same location. 

Third. You can certainly put your Nest router and points behind the TMO 5G gateway without making it a bridge. In this configuration, your Nest mesh network will have its own subnet. You can configure your preferred DNS servers, NAT, fixed IP address, and etc. in the Nest mesh network since none of these functions are available in the TMO 5G gateway.  

You can certainly put your Nest router and points behind the TMO 5G gateway without making it a bridge. In this configuration, your Nest mesh network will have its own subnet. You can configure your preferred DNS servers, NAT, fixed IP address, and etc. in the Nest mesh network since none of these functions are available in the TMO 5G gateway.  

More specifics on this, please. I purchased TMO 5G + Nest Routers to replace my 11-year marriage to XFINITY where I had two xFi Pods in different rooms so I could connect Ethernet devices separate from the modem/router. Any explicit instructions and/or URLs to articles would be greatly appreciated! 🙏🏽