Solved

Cannot connect HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus to T-Mobile 5G Gateway

• 27 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One Printer N911g. I have just gotten a T-Mobile 5G Gateway router set up with 2 networks: one with 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (dual band) and one with just 2.4 GHz - WPA security. When I attempt to connect the printer to the 2.4 GHz network, it fails with the issue "MAC address filtering may be enabled on your wireless router". IT IS NOT - my understanding is that there is no filter (option is set to ALL).

I have reset this network several times, updated drivers, ensured the security settings are proper, rebooted the computer several times. I have connected several other devices to this network (iphone / ipad / desktop) without issue so this is a tad frustrating. Is there other possible settings?

icon

Best answer by copz1998 28 March 2024, 01:13

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@JohnPM67 please take a look at the following thread. They had success setting up a separate 2.4ghz SSID for their printer and it worked (3 SSIDs).

let us know how it goes. 

Badge

Only thing that worked for me was to download the HP Smart app, regardless of any other printing apps and programs, newer HP printers, in my experience, will only connect to and communicate through that app. I downloaded it on my phones (Google Pixel 6a, Motorola One 5g Ace and  Samsung S10) and my laptop which is a Dell. My phones haven't had any issues connecting unless the printer is sleeping hard 😂 and doesn't want to wake up. My laptop likes to make me switch my wifi connection to the one the printer broadcasts to complete the job. I do find this slightly odd since the printer has no USB connection option and should be a simple Bluetooth connection, not through the wifi ssid. 

Anyways, best of luck to you. Hope your printer came with free months of ink too. It's worth it! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

It’s an old printer! I have the same model, purchased in 2014, I think.  I checked the settings on mine hoping to give some good advice.  It’s connected to the TMHI Wi-Fi, 2.4 GHz and WPA security.  I had it working before - but now my laptop says the printer is Offline.  I need to do some troubleshooting myself!  

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Update: I was able to print via Wi-Fi from my old Windows 10 computer, but not my newer Windows 11 laptop.  I uninstalled the printer on the laptop and used the HP Smart app to re-install it.  I don’t know why it broke, but that fixed it.

I made no changes to my T-Mobile Home Internet network and the printer remained connected to the Wi-Fi.  As I posted in the linked discussion and countless others, the second network is 2.4 GHz and WPA/WPA2 security.  The printer reports that it is using WPA.  (It’s old!)