Question

Canon Printer on wi-fi needs psk number/code

• 15 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

Trying to hook up a Canon Image Class laser printer to new T-mobile internet wi-fi, model Gateway Fast 5688W. The setup menu on printer finds the T-Mobile wi-fi connection at the top of available network list, but then asks for a PSK code/number. What is that and where do I get it. Nothing I have plugged in there has worked. Tech support at T-Mobile is no help.

5 replies

Try entering your WiFi passphrase (printed on the back of the Sagemcom gateway unless you’ve changed it.)

Badge

Thank you. So far not working. Didn’t change it.

Might check out this thread: HP Printer Wireless Set up Issue

If your Canon printer is older then it might require different WiFi settings, detailed in above thread.

Also, did you previously configured it with a fixed IP address?  If so might want to factory reset it, so it can get a new IP address assigned by your T-Mobile gateway.

Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You don’t state the specific model of the Canon printer so it is impossible to be sure what it is capable of with respect to the wireless. If it is older then it may only work with 2.4 GHz and not 5 GHz. With the T-Mobile home internet mobile application on your phone you should be able to do basic management with your phone. You may need to either add another SSID for 2.4 GHz only and give it a pass phrase and then be sure to provide authentication the Canon printer supports. That may work. If the printer has an Ethernet port on it you can just use that to connect it direct to the gateway. Using an Ethernet cable, if it is possible with that printer, is the easy, fast way. 

Some older printers just will not play with the 802.11ax network standard. It is supposed to be backward compatible but older devices with older drivers often do not work with some newer gear. I can only guess that it is older and only supports 2.4 GHz on maybe the 802.11b/g/n standard possibly so it is a little more challenge but still might work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

So to answer your question direct:

Some “terms” used for wireless network authentication can be "encryption key," "WEP key," "WPA/WPA2 passphrase," and "preshared key (PSK)."

So, with the SSID, ie network name you need to provide the preshared key or authentication token.